Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houston, we have a problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I adjusted the clutch to where it doesnt chatter very much and when I put it in gear, the wheels turn when I let out the clutch. I took it off the jack stands to put it back in the garage because it is supposed to rain. I get in, fire it up, push in the clutch and put it in gear. I let the clutch all the way out and it doesnt go anywhere. I tried several different gear including reverse and it doesnt move at all. What could be the problem? I am starting to wonder if I will ever get to drive this car.
Porsche Rescue
First guess: clutch mis-adjusted, not engaging. Takes very little contact to spin the wheels in the air, a lot more when they are on the ground.
SLITS
Well, you either snapped the input shaft or the clutch is not engaging.

While on jack stands, it is feasible the wheels could turn, but once you require greater frictional force, you don't go nowhere.

Remember the power is transmitted by the splines of the friction disk to the input shaft of the tranny ONLY if the pressure plate has clamped the friction disk to the flywheel.

It's the old readjust the clutch thingy. You may not like the chatter, but from the previous thread, it was reported that your type clutch chattered somewhat for a period of time.

confused24.gif

Damnit, guess I type slow
Dr Evil
Did you F with your flywheel at all? Resurface? It sounds like the pressure plate is not grabbing the disk for some reason, but I dont know what you did. If it chattered and now doesnt, maybe it does so because the pressure plate is now completely not gripping where as before it was trying to grab.
confused24.gif
Porsche Rescue
Slits types slow but gives a more complete answer.
skline
OK, So what do I need to do to resolve this? Do I tighten it up again? Or are you saying it is too tight?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 6 2004, 07:30 AM)
OK, So what do I need to do to resolve this? Do I tighten it up again? Or are you saying it is too tight?

Its too tight and causing the clutch to release.

Bob
skline
Well, then that brings up another problem, I have it as loose as I can without the clutch arm rubbing on the pressure plate. Anyone have a resolve for that one?
Bleyseng
Install a washer under the clutch arm ball to adjust the throw of the arm.There must be some technique for figuring this spacing but I don't know it. I just use trial and error which sucks.

Geoff <_<
skline
I will wait till next week and call Scott at Renegade and ask him. Since it is his setup, I am sure he will be able to tell me how to fix it. I am not giving up yet. It is discouraging however. It seems like I resolve one thing and something else comes up. <_<
Aaron Cox
scott, whats left to do on the car. i can come help for an hour or two...

Or we could roll over to jay's and put his engine in smile.gif
skline
I have someone coming over in about an hour to work on their computer so I cant really do much till that is done. Go over and get Jay's going, he has less time to drive his before deployment and I am sure he is anxious to do so. Mine will wait.
SLITS
Ok Scott - analyze the problem:

If you loosen the nut, the cable end of the lever (clutch fork) moves towards the front of the car and the throwout end lever moves away from the pressure plate.

At the fulcrum (pivot point), it is set a specific distance from the bell housing and from the pressure plate on a stock setup. If you place a shim under the pivot, you move the lever closer to the pressure plate.

Since you are using a non-stock clutch assembly, is the depth of the assembly the same distance from the back of the flywheel to the surface of the clutch fingers as stock? If it is greater, it will cause the throwout bearing to move towards the rear of the tranny and force the lever forward towards the front of the car at the cable end, possibly creating an angle at which the lever contacts the pressure plate.

All this results in the question of whether the throwout bearing assembly is not correctly mounted or incorrect for the application. Is the pressure plate fully seated? Did it require shims to mount it properly? Is the friction disk to thick/thin for the application? Did the friction disk mount easily on the splines of the input shaft? What is the position of the clutch fingers, when the assembly is fully tightened against the flywheel? There are gads of questions that could be asked.

I would start by putting the car back on stands, taking the clutch cable off and feel the throw of the lever - and studying it's position and generally looking at the assembly thru the inspection hole. Not easy to see, but.............,
Dr Evil
Ya, what SLITS said. But, in a nut shell: If you loosen the cable and the fork automatically moves towads the front of the car then the pressure plate is pushing on it (most likely too tight). Also, if your arm is hitting the housing now then you need to either shim between the tranny and engine, or much easier, remove the shim from under the pivot ball to move the throwout assembly towards the back. This should give you an extra mm to goof with. Your throwout bearing should not be pressing (with any real force) on your pressure plate fingers at all times. It should be resting on it and you should have about 3/4" of play at the pedal. If your bearing rides your disk it will wear a groove in it and cause more problems later. I have pictures.

HTH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.