Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NJ Emission Inspection Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jersey914
My 74' has failed emissions inspection and my guess is, it will never pass. What have you guys done to get around this problem. NJ is a bitch with emissions and I have to figure out what to do before I get nailed for $185.00 ticket for pass due inspection sticker.

The car is just a "Sunny and 70" car so I barely drive it.

Any ideas..........especially any Jersey people out there?

headbang.gif
JmuRiz
Antique tags? Works here in VA, no emissions testing.
Don't know if they have them in NJ though.
904svo
What part of the test did it fail?
Jeffs9146
Move to California! blink.gif WTF.gif
mepstein
FI or carbs?
jersey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2012, 10:10 PM) *

FI or carbs?

Delortto carbs @ mark
jersey914
QUOTE(904svo @ Dec 4 2012, 10:02 PM) *

What part of the test did it fail?

I dont remeber exactly, hydro carbons, i think
Cap'n Krusty
IMO, you're probably never gonna be able to get that thing to pass with carbs.

The Cap'n
jersey914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 4 2012, 10:40 PM) *

IMO, you're probably never gonna be able to get that thing to pass with carbs.

The Cap'n

@ Cap'n..... I didn' t think so.. Problem in NJ is, they make you crawl through glass to register as a classic.. I would have to go through a whole freaking application process and then get granted historic car status based on some clucks opinion in Trenton. I may have to sell the car just because of the BS.

headbang.gif WTF.gif
mepstein
How long is an inspection good for before you need to renew? Can you put in a good running FI'd motor to pass? There are people on this board that can help you. Borrow an engine with FI or buy one cheap from someone who is converting to a 6. Sfrenck in Delaware might still have a 1.8 with FI that was selling cheap. Like under $200. There might be other options as well. Good luck, Mark
GeorgeRud
It may still be worthwhile to try to register it as an antique as it is over 25 years old. It seems that New Jersey has a few more regulations than we do here in Illinois, but the application doesn't seem all that onerous. I think they do most of the application steps to insure they don't have old clunkers registered.

Insuring it as a historic vehicle is required, but is usually a cheaper way to go if you only use it as you stated.

Good luck!
914itis
No issues here in ny to register as an antique or to pass inspection . The inspection on cars prior to 95 is more like a safety check. Tires, lights , brakes etc . They don't even put the car on the machine
jersey914
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 4 2012, 11:03 PM) *

No issues here in ny to register as an antique or to pass inspection . The inspection on cars prior to 95 is more like a safety check. Tires, lights , brakes etc . They don't even put the car on the machine

Lucky you! Here in NJ they shove that stupid meter right up the ass of car
MikeSpraggi
I would still try for the historic tags in NJ ........ or maybe get it registered as historic in another state ....... hmmmm ...... leave that to the imagination.
NJ914Guy
No need to go to Trenton. The motor vehicle center in Runnemede does QQ plates and classic registration. Just need a couple of photos and simple as pie. I run QQ's on my 1973 with no inspection and no front plate required.

rmital
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Dec 5 2012, 01:19 AM) *

No need to go to Trenton. The motor vehicle center in Runnemede does QQ plates and classic registration. Just need a couple of photos and simple as pie. I run QQ's on my 1973 with no inspection and no front plate required.

agree.gif
No problems...they prefer you don't go to Trenton. You could do it online.
jersey914

Can I still drive the car in a limited capacity i.e. Sunny 70, weekends, etc?
SUNAB914
Sell the car to me! wink.gif
rmital
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Dec 5 2012, 07:27 AM) *

yes...I have historic plates and Hagerty insurance...for about 8 years now. Hagerty doesn't ask any mileage questions any more but would like to be reassured that the car is safe in a garage when not in use.

The only set back is if stolen it should be done with you behind the wheel, like at gun point for lack of a better analogy.
you can't park it at Willowbrook Mall and tell the police it was stolen and expect Hagerty to pay. you can't leave the car out of your site.

your permitted to attend club events/car shows, but wouldn't enter a autoX, smash your car up and expext them to pay

...but I like my car and enjoy it...so I don't leave it at the mall.
I take it to events, stay over night at hotels...but do live in NJ like yourself, so don't enjoy commuting with it. I sit in traffic alot. I rather sit in traffic in my Toyota.... dry.gif
jersey914
QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 5 2012, 08:04 AM) *

yes...I have historic plates and Hagerty insurance...for about 8 years now. Hagerty doesn't ask any mileage questions any more but would like to be reassured that the car is safe in a garage when not in use.

The only set back is if stolen it should be done with you behind the wheel, like at gun point for lack of a better analogy.
you can't park it at Willowbrook Mall and tell the police it was stolen and expect Hagerty to pay. you can't leave the car out of your site.

your permitted to attend club events/car shows, but wouldn't enter a autoX, smash your car up and expext them to pay

I take it to events, stay over night at hotels...but do live in NJ like yourself, so don't enjoy commuting with it. I sit in traffic alot. I rather sit in traffic in my Toyota.... dry.gif

I bought my insurance from American Collectors Ins. Very reputable and reasonable in restrictions. Now I just need to get over this inspection hurdle. I just need to be be clear. You are saying register as a "Class" not "historic", correct?
NJ914Guy
Historic. See here

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/SpecialVehiclesPlates.htm
rmital
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Dec 5 2012, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Dec 5 2012, 08:04 AM) *

I bought my insurance from American Collectors Ins. Very reputable and reasonable in restrictions. Now I just need to get over this inspection hurdle. I just need to be be clear. You are saying register as a "Class" not "historic", correct?

historic...that's what my plates say. no inspection required.
cary
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Dec 4 2012, 10:19 PM) *

I did the same thing in Oregon. If I remember right. It had 4-5 questions. I checked off only one box, is the car over 25 years old.
I now have forever SP plates for my White 73. Same as NJ, no front plate required.

I believe the last question was, is the car used primarily for racing?
I might use both when and if I get around to putting Oregon plates on my Carrera.
d914
I can rent you my brother in law.... Retired cop.... always worked in the past!! smile.gif
tod914
I registered mine in the Sommerville office. In and out inside of 15 minutes. Make sure you bring in the required photos along with a photo of the windsheild vin.. The 914 vin has less numbers than newer cars and may or may not be a problem when you goto register it for Historic plates. One time it was an issue, the other time it wasn't.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 5 2012, 09:05 AM) *

I registered mine in the Sommerville office. In and out inside of 15 minutes. Make sure you bring in the required photos along with a photo of the windsheild vin.. The 914 vin has less numbers than newer cars and may or may not be a problem when you goto register it for Historic plates. One time it was an issue, the other time it wasn't.

My stock 1970 914 6 passes state emissions inspection here in NJ
If your engine is healthy it should pass.
High hydrocarbons ? ..... not so healthy.
High CO ? too rich. Aftermarket carbs ? no guarantee.
Historic registration sounds pretty good just to get rid of the front plate.
The irony is that if your car runs well enought to pass inspection it will probably perform better as well.
Gint
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 5 2012, 12:09 PM) *

If your engine is healthy it should pass.
High hydrocarbons ? ..... not so healthy.
High CO ? too rich. Aftermarket carbs ? no guarantee.
Historic registration sounds pretty good just to get rid of the front plate.
The irony is that if your car runs well enought to pass inspection it will probably perform better as well.
agree.gif
Completely. I've never had a problem getting even a carb'd 914 to pass CO emissions. If it's tuned properly it should pass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.