Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Swap 1.7 FI for 1.8 or 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Is it fairly simple to make a swap. Do I need a harness adapter? Do I use same releay board? Do I need to say within a year range?

I am building an engine for my 73 restoration, and thought I might put a lower cost option in temporarily to sort out all the kinks.

I would just like to put in a running FI engine.

Sorry I meant to put this in the garage.....
Dave_Darling
The injection parts are not all in exactly the same locations, so you would need to lengthen some wires. Doable, but it's probably easier to use the injection harness for the engine you're swapping in. I think the ignition harnesses are more easily swappable but are still a little different.

The relay boards "should" all be the same, but I have heard that there are year-to-year differences.

--DD
76-914
Geoff is your best authority on this but I seem to remember an issue with the blower fan on mine. I think it was because my 73 was a 1.7 originally and the 2.0 GC engine harness required that I switch a wire at the molex plug going into the relay board. But then again I've forgotten what I had for breakfast, already.
JeffBowlsby
Use all the harnesses from the donor engine, they are not 100% interchangable. 914/4 relay boards are all the same, but as a general rule you will need the FI and Ignition harnesses from the donor engine. All 914/4 alternator harnesses are identical.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 5 2012, 12:42 PM) *
914/4 relay boards are all the same

Sort of ... biggrin.gif

While the boards are the same, the main wire harness is *not* and one needs to be careful about using an engine harness from a different year as some of the wires on the relay board connector will connect to the wrong wires in the main harness!

If you can find an engine from the same year, it should be plug & play. If it's from a different year, you may have to shuffle a few wires in the connector to the relay board to match your year.
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.