Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914-6 conv. add
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DEC
....with an interesting description. blink.gif

Ebay add

This is one reason why I never would buy a 914 which a friend or I haven't seen in person.

I think if Dr. 914 sells a car I would expected that the description is true but now I know it better

Eric_Shea
Classic George Hustler.
billh1963
Caveat Emptor

I hate reading these stories. Reminds me of my own internet purchase follies!
Mark Henry
Can anyone abridge the description/problem?
I'm not reading the story out that little POS window and trying to C&P into word just crashes the program.
SLITS
Our world renowned Porsche 914 shop has given this 914 a thorough check and passes with flying colors!
Now, with all that said, why wouldn't I be happy? To begin with, when my transport arrived, the car was in parts and pieces! All of the sweetening described in the past tense was yet to be competed. At this point, I asked for my money back and was told too bad. On arrival, I had to install a new fuel pump as old one was leaking like a sieve. New fuel gauge works intermittently, No e brake handle due to brake retrofit, holes where duck tail spoiler and old mirrors resided were disguised, but I think I'd rather have the old stuff and thought it would have been supplied with the car. Engine bay lid release takes some gusto. I learned that the "fully rebuilt" motor was actually torn down, inspected, and re-sealed, only replacing what was necessary. Is this a good car? Sure. Was it worth what I paid for it? Surely not. The car starts, runs, drives, shifts,stops, etc, wonderfully. It certainly has more poop than a 2.0 car, but not nearly as much as the 3.0 914 I sold to buy this one. Dr 914 claimed that the work he performed on this car was worth 6-7 grand. You decide what it's worth to you. I reserve the right to end the auction for committed buyer with acceptable offer. Title held at USAA Bank. Expect a 2 week delay after payment to receive it. Large/high resolution pics cheerfully sent to interested parties. I have only driven the car 200 miles over a year. My goal is to recoup as much of my money as possible but expect to take a loss as reflected in buy it now and reserve. Happy bidding.

Nothing new here ....................

SLITS
And the beginning:

This is what the "Good Doctor" had to say about the car.....
Fabulous find! As we all know, original 914-6 cars are out of sight in price and converting one is monstrously expensive, although, very rewarding. We well know the costs involved as we do six conversions at our shop all of the time. Here is a rare opportunity to capitalize on one man's pursuit of six conversion and his great loss due to wifely commitments!
This 2.2 mechanically injected six cylinder 914 was converted from a pristine rust free zambezi green 1974 914, which most consider the best of the 914 bodies. Starting with a totally rebuilt engine by John Forbes at the Black Forest, he had the mechanical injection pump overhauled to factory specs, added the Patrick Motorsports six oil tank assembly, the dual club sport weld-in motor mount, the six engine sheet metal and the MSDS headers with stock exhaust. The engine has been used less than 500 miles since the rebuild.
He then added bilstein shocks, 140 lb springs, 911 SC front end and brakes, 19mm Master cylinder, stainless brake lines, and 7 x 16 factory fuchs all the way around. The car was professionally refinished in the original zambezi green color, with various trim and weatherstripping and lenses replaced along with the carpet. A front oil cooler was added for ultimate cooling with the 911s gauge to monitor iol pressure and oil temperature. A momo steering wheel gives the car a custom feel while driving.
The car drives as perfectly as it looks, one may say that it is stiffly sprung with the 140 lb springs, but the front sway bar balances everything to make the car neutral in the tightest corner. As we all know mechanical injection is instant on so there is none of the typical hesitation cased by carburetion! The exhaust note is that of the factory 911 and 914-6 models, very distinctive in its own right.
If you choose to purchase this 914, you will be absolutely delighted with the effort and vast expense the previous owner went to make this car what it is today, and it is superior in every way to the original 70 914 factory six models at a fraction of the price. We are offering this car at a great price, and have completed an extensive "sweetening" list that due to Dr. 914's individual tastes (he is currently driving the car) we have executed. That list includes the following:
removed the front trunk mounted battery tray and relocated the battery back to its original position
installed brand new inner door fuzzy strips and new factory rear window caps
installed a new old stock fuel gauge
installed new windshield wiper caps
installed a new center seat cushion and matching used center tray
repaired the windshield wipers
installed a new tire board
installed a rebuilt set of factory gauges for the beauty of them
installed a new set of rear window caps
repair the lose right side window
clean the right lock mechanism
install a new set of top latch caps
installed a new matching drivers seat cushion
installed a new factory stainless steel mirror removing the dual tornado mirros
installed a new rear to lid seal
installed a new factory 914 accelerator pedal to replace late model 911 pedal
installed a used set of factory rear deck torsion bars and hinge rollers and removed aftermarket hood shock kit
removed rear duck tail spoiler
installed two new european tail light lenses
replaced 140 lb springs with new 914-6 springs and reset ride height for smoother handling
installed a new front top holder
installed new set of factory gold PORSCHE lettering
installed new 914-6 gold emblem
installed new engine lid edging strip
Jgilliam914
I do feel for you but I have a question for you is. Why didn't you do a PPI before purchase? Your taking one person's opinion ( seller ) and giving him 24 grand on a few photos and a description. A $500 excursion to check it out would have saved you tons of headaches. I for one would NEVER buy a car off ebay without looking at it first or having a trained eye looking at it for me. No one likes to be screwed over and you would think that someone who is in the buisness as long as he has and being the self proclaimed expert as George claims he is wouldn't bend you over. But it sounds like he did.
You have to remember people who are in buisness for any length of time are doing so to make a profit. Ebay is full of transactions just like yours so don't feel alone and take it personal. Sell the car and move on or fix it the way you always wanted it to be and try to enjoy it and drive the hell out of it.
If you keep it long enough with the way prices are moving you can re coup your money but it might take awhile
billh1963
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Dec 5 2012, 01:26 PM) *

I do feel for you but I have a question for you is. Why didn't you do a PPI before purchase? Your taking one person's opinion ( seller ) and giving him 24 grand on a few photos and a description. A $500 excursion to check it out would have saved you tons of headaches. I for one would NEVER buy a car off ebay without looking at it first or having a trained eye looking at it for me. No one likes to be screwed over and you would think that someone who is in the buisness as long as he has and being the self proclaimed expert as George claims he is wouldn't bend you over. But it sounds like he did.
You have to remember people who are in buisness for any length of time are doing so to make a profit. Ebay is full of transactions just like yours so don't feel alone and take it personal. Sell the car and move on or fix it the way you always wanted it to be and try to enjoy it and drive the hell out of it.
If you keep it long enough with the way prices are moving you can re coup your money but it might take awhile

The seller hasn't posted so you would have to ask him directly.

Secondly, hindsight is great; however, it is totally useless. I am sure the buyer felt safe based on a perceived reputation.

I have bought NEW parts from AA several times and have not had any problems. Buying a car from AA would be an ENTIRELY different issue. Due diligence for a purchase of that size from anyone would be required!
jsayre914
Nice looking car drooley.gif
Nine_14
A shame for the Dr.

rwilner
Car looks like it has great bones and could be made into a 5 nines car with not too much effort. Too bad the sight of this car probably makes the owner instantly infuriated.

Regarding that description of a rebuilt 6....I've never done one, but from what I've read and heard, I think that's pretty standard for 6 rebuilds...measure and inspect everything, replace what's needed, clean and reinstall what's still in spec. I'm always weary of what "fully rebuilt" means regarding engines or transmissions...give me a list of what was replaced instead please.

Anyway, looks like a fair price for a nice car. And, as others have stated, 100% par for the course with George. But, he's been getting away with it for decades, so he must be doing something right.
pete000
Is this the same car?

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=363793&hl=
billh1963
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 5 2012, 04:01 PM) *

Funny! He was lurking on this thread earlier....that's where he got the "heads up"
Jgilliam914
I didnt realize the thread was not started by the car owner. However I did see while typing it that Dr. 914 was reading it so this should come as no surprise to him.
Scott S
Click to view attachment

Then buy it back.
pete000
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 5 2012, 03:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Then buy it back.

agree.gif
ellisor3
[quote name='Scott S' date='Dec 5 2012, 06:21 PM' post='1778859']
Click to view attachment

"the guy does not know what he has,"

Sadly I think he does. sheeplove.gif
patssle
If the car was sold not as advertised - did the buyer not take ANY legal action? Especially considering the seller has a full company that specifically works with these cars - surely the seller would have some sort of legal case?
billh1963
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 5 2012, 08:21 PM) *

If the car was sold not as advertised - did the buyer not take ANY legal action? Especially considering the seller has a full company that specifically works with these cars - surely the seller would have some sort of legal case?

Probably sold "as is, where is. No warranty expressed or implied"
timothy_nd28
A real 6 can go over 50K easy. Is it unreasonable to charge 24k for a 6 conversion? I guess I don't see it, the car looks nice.
dlkawashima
Before it was sold to AA:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pete000
Plastic fuel line should be replaced...IMHO...
carr914
[quote name='Jgilliam914' date='Dec 5 2012, 01:26 PM' post='1778753']
[/quote]

Sadly a lot of people fall for the I'm an expert - that is why George & Motorshiester are still in Business. Maybe they should Merge dry.gif

[quote name='ellisor3' date='Dec 5 2012, 07:24 PM' post='1778921']
[quote name='Scott S' date='Dec 5 2012, 06:21 PM' post='1778859']
Click to view attachment

"the guy does not know what he has,"

Sadly I think he does. sheeplove.gif
[/quote]

agree.gif
914outlaw
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 5 2012, 04:01 PM) *

I think he should buy it back from the seller for a fair price. Let's say 22k just to save face and his reputation. So many people have nothing but negative things to say that it must be bad for business. Anyway, if there is any truth in what the seller is saying, then that is F**ked Up! "Caveat Emptor" is right.
carr914
He does not care aboot his Reputation!
patssle
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 5 2012, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 5 2012, 08:21 PM) *

Probably sold "as is, where is. No warranty expressed or implied"

Sure. But can you legally falsely advertise something then claim legal innocence by the as-is/no warranty disclaimer?
rfuerst911sc
Been there done that and I was warned ahead of time. AA will NEVER get another penny from me as long as I live and they are 15 minutes down the road from me. I'd rather burn the car to the ground than give them any more of my money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.