Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I trade my CB900F for this 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Martini Turbo
I am thinking about trading my 1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport modified with CBR 17" wheels, sport rear stays, yoshi pipe, 18,000 miles for this 914.

http://www.carcenteronline.com/inventoryDe....aspx?invId=831

What do you guys think? I have a 996 and this would be a toy to work on and mod for AX and track days. Possibly do a V8 down the road.Click to view attachment
Ductech
Do it the 914 is probably less likely to kill you and has a roof in case it rains.. Now if that was like a Ducati my answer would be different.
Tom
No! It is being advertised as a low mileage survivor and priced accordingly.
You want a car to modify to enjoy AX and track days. Best bet would be to buy one already needing work and build it to your taste. And keep the Honda too!!!
Tom
Zimms
welcome.png
Ask for more pictures of the hell hole and longs. It sounds like you want a running project rather than a welding project.

That one has been for sale for about a year. The photos are pretty small and its hard to see what shape its in.

I live about 40 minutes from there and could possibly get up there on Friday if you want some additional photos.
hot_shoe914
Sure is a sweet looking bike though. wub.gif
Mike Bellis
Less than $3k is a good price if the car has little rust. I would make the trade if the car is good enough. Engines and suspensions are cheaper than major rust repair!
914Bryan
NOOOOOO! That Honda is too nice, a soon to be a collectible motorcycle (like a CBX)! There are many 914's out there. If you really want one, be patient, the right one will come along. But that motorcycle will be missed if you let it go...Trust me.
JmuRiz
I'd keep the bike, very cool!
Keep a lookout here for a fun 914 project to get at a later date.
Cap'n Krusty
That "beige" car sure looks yellow to me. What else is the seller less than candid about?

The Cap'n
Ferg
I dunno, that particular 914 has been for sale for a long long time, I'd say no unless somebody who knows what they are looking at checks it out.
Martini Turbo
Thanks for all the input and complements on the bike. I just don't ride it much and the older I get the more I think about how dangerous they are. After 30 years of riding bikes I may be done. I think you guys are right and I may hold off and keep looking as I am in Milwaukee and that car is 3.5 hours away. Would be nice if it was local so I could check it out more.
a914622
Iv ridden one of them. Nice bike but you got to remember 2 things

Bike= Cop magnet

914= chick magnet!! lol-2.gif

No brainer

jcl
zymurgist
QUOTE(914Bryan @ Dec 5 2012, 11:01 PM) *

NOOOOOO! That Honda is too nice, a soon to be a collectible motorcycle (like a CBX)! There are many 914's out there. If you really want one, be patient, the right one will come along. But that motorcycle will be missed if you let it go...Trust me.

agree.gif
jasons
First off, that bike is bitchin! If you want out of it, I would sell it and look for the right 914. Not just the one that is available. And, I wouldn't be afraid to ship the right car. Getting the wrong car will cost way more than the expense of shipping the right car.

FYI.... The odds of finding a problem car go up exponentially by a formula that is number of humid days multiplied by annual inches of rainfall all raised to a power of the amount of salt used on the roads in winter.

Martini Turbo
Ha Ha Ha, I like your formula! So, WI is pretty low then? smile.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Martini Turbo @ Dec 6 2012, 10:05 AM) *

Ha Ha Ha, I like your formula! So, WI is pretty low then? smile.gif

Only for 914 survivor-ship you still have beers, brats and football.
Martini Turbo
You got that right!

I'll send you some beer and brats if you can send me a rust free 914!
zymurgist
If it was a '98-99 VFR800, I'd be PMing you advising you to sell it to me. biker.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Martini Turbo @ Dec 5 2012, 07:58 PM) *

Thanks for all the input and complements on the bike. I just don't ride it much and the older I get the more I think about how dangerous they are. After 30 years of riding bikes I may be done.

If thats your mindset sell it/ trade it, just get off the road dry.gif
With that type of appoach to rideing you are a danger to yourself & others.
agree.gif though youve kept it in nice shape. smile.gif
sfrenck
I talked to this dealer a few months ago. IIRC, this car was owned by a collector who "kept it inside and never drove it" so the mileage on the odometer was accurate / <100K miles (he had much more backstory on the owner - which didn't sound BS).

The extra pictures the dealer sent me didn't justify the then $3950 asking price. At $2950, I'd check the car out if I were within driving distance and looking for a 914.
Martini Turbo
Thanks for the info Scott!
Tilly74
For what it's worth, I regretted selling every motorcycle I ever sold...Except for the one I traded for my 914.
Martini Turbo
I have never regretted selling any motorcycle I had but have regretted selling a couple of Porsche's!Click to view attachment
TargaToy
You'll get the bug again, miss the bike, and wish you'd never let it go. Store it carefully...but hang onto it. Try to afford both or just wait a bit on the car. I've lusted after converted CB's for years and I know there's a bit of work, modification, and parts searching involved in doing the conversions you've got there. Might be hard to replicate later if you regret selling.

Just sayin...
Elliot Cannon
You were going to trade straight across for that car??
Martini Turbo
Yes, straight up even trade.
nsr-jamie
Keep the bike !! You will regret it later on even if you don't ride it as much as you use to...if you can afford it just buy the car. I am a big Honda fan and have a very interesting old school moto GP style bike as well. I would like to see you have the both of them. Cheers!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Martini Turbo @ Dec 8 2012, 06:54 AM) *

Yes, straight up even trade.

Too bad you're not on the left coast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.