Full Version: Don't slam the Hood!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
From car for sale on Ebay!
jimkelly
placards should maybe say - don't rest gas cap here when refueling

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Must be from a "you can't pump your own gas" state.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 5 2012, 06:07 PM) *
I am sorry Sir Andy, Bonnet!

What are you apologizing to me for? confused24.gif

I'm not British, where i come from you can actually eat the local food ...
lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2012, 07:40 PM) *

lol-2.gif

Unless you're vegan. Then you're likely to starve to death. chowtime.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif
ScoopLV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2012, 07:40 PM) *

lol-2.gif

Pah! I have never had a bad meal in England. Not once, ever.

England makes some of the best food in the world. Whether it's a humble pasty or curry take out, or something from a chippy. Or whether it's a four-figure meal at the Fat Duck.

I would much rather eat at "any random restaurant in England" than "any random restaurant in America." Here, I'd likely be stuck at an Olive Garden or Red Lobster and eating absolute crap. There, I'd likely be eating a steak and kidney pie and washing it down with an excellent ale.

I have no idea why British food is so horribly maligned in the USA. Saying, "The UK doesn't make good food," is like saying "the Czech Republic doesn't make good beer."

They have a seafood culture that rivals JAPAN, an ale culture which no nation on Earth can come close to, and their cheeses are among the best in the world. They've got it really good, food-wise.

We go to England every other year or so. Mainly for the food. It's brilliant.
76-914
Andy is originally from Germany. I think that was what he was referring to. Get off your high horse. mad.gif
Eric_Shea
Sorry Scoopy... I worked for a British company years back. It's not as bad as people say but, a real honest to goodness heart stopping "STEAK" is all but an impossible find. Sure, they have steak but, the "Upscale" stuff equates to an "Outback" experience here, not Ruth's Chris or (Chicago) The Chophouse.

Sandwiches were two 1/4" pieces of white bread with 1/4" of butter on each and a 1/16" piece of mystery meat. The pub sandwiches I had (in the Midlands) were "dreadful" (in their own words).

Breakfast is a couple hard boiled eggs and "interesting" coffee.

That said, the curry houses rock (as many do here) and the chips were traditionally great. The "beer culture" was an amazing ritual to see and partake in. A pint (or two) for lunch, two pints at the tennis club before dinner and three pints with dinner. Order a Mickey and enjoy with some of the best people on the planet.

Overall food rating; 5 out of 10 stars. You're the chef though... Maybe I was just in the wrong places. Maybe I'm spoiled too... My previous job had me wining and dining clients at some of the fanciest places around. Frankfurt has some amazing restaurants. The food in the Sauerland is to die for... Even at the local tavern. So, I think I get where Andreas is coming from wink.gif
ConeDodger
I wondered how long it would take Andy to come up bewildered about how he was mistaken for a Brit. Even Amoy calls him "The German" as if that was his name... lol-2.gif
JawjaPorsche
I knew Andy was from Germany but I thought they called the hood, the bonnet too?

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2012, 11:53 AM) *

I wondered how long it would take Andy to come up bewildered about how he was mistaken for a Brit. Even Amoy calls him "The German" as if that was his name... lol-2.gif

JawjaPorsche

biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 6 2012, 09:04 AM) *

I knew Andy was from Germany but I thought they called the hood, the bonnet too?

That I don't know... You'd have to ask "The German." biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 6 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Nope, they teach us Oxford English in school but the first time i heard someone refer to a car hood as a bonnet was when i worked in England.

I spent quite some time living and working in London, Leicester and Nottingham ...
chowtime.gif
JawjaPorsche
I was watching Wheeler Dealers last night as they worked on a 911. They kept mispronouncing Porsche! confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 6 2012, 10:37 AM) *
They kept mispronouncing Porsche! confused24.gif

That's like nails on a chalkboard to me (or nails on a smartphone for you young folks) ...

The "e" at the end is pronounced, it's not silent! And it's not pronounced like an English "e" either.
poke.gif

THIS is what a Porch looks like: rolleyes.gif

IPB Image
JawjaPorsche
How To Pronounce Porsche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RLg0xw_4bo

Porsha
It is called Porsha everywhere except America.
The American accent says Porsh.
But the correct way to say it is Porsha.
The dictionaries and encyclopedia's also say how to pronounce Porsche. And they say Por-Sha.

Dr. Ferdinand Porsche is probably rolling over in his grave with so many people mispronouncing his last name.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 6 2012, 01:03 PM) *

Dr. Ferdinand Porsche is probably rolling over in his grave with so many people mispronouncing his last name.

Or laughing at the idiots. I went to the PCA board meeting last night and I paused in the showroom to gaze at a Hybrid Cayenne. The salesman came up and said "that's a great Porsch." I just shook my head and said, "it's a Porsche." as I headed up to the boardroom at the dealership.
JawjaPorsche
When one of my friends got a job at a Porsche dealership in North Carolina several years ago, the first day he was instructed on how to pronounce Porsche correctly.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2012, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 6 2012, 01:03 PM) *

Or laughing at the idiots. I went to the PCA board meeting last night and I paused in the showroom to gaze at a Hybrid Cayenne. The salesman came up and said "that's a great Porsch." I just shook my head and said, "it's a Porsche." as I headed up to the boardroom at the dealership.

ScoopLV
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 6 2012, 08:38 AM) *

Overall food rating; 5 out of 10 stars. You're the chef though... Maybe I was just in the wrong places. Maybe I'm spoiled too... My previous job had me wining and dining clients at some of the fanciest places around. Frankfurt has some amazing restaurants. The food in the Sauerland is to die for... Even at the local tavern. So, I think I get where Andreas is coming from wink.gif

German food rocks, too. And it's usually rock solid. You're unlikely to ever get a bad meal in Germany unless it's at a fast-food joint. But even then, at least you can get a beer.

I've lived in Germany long enough that I speak the language. (You will discover as you get to know me that I have lived damned near everywhere.)

It's just that there are a few stereotypes that really get under my skin:

* "British food is horrible." (It isn't. I can show you inexpensive restaurants across the the entire UK that will make your socks roll up and down as you eat the amazing food.)

* "British beer is served warm." (It isn't. It isn't served as cold as it is elsewhere. But it isn't warm. It's cellar temperature -- ales need to be served at higher temperatures to really get the nuances.)

* "French waiters are snooty." (They aren't. They're just SICK TO DEATH of Americans treating them like crap. Treat your waiter like the professional that he is, and he will rock your culinary world.)

* "American beer sucks." (This is one I get ALL the time when I'm in Europe. I spend a great deal of time defending American beer. This always shuts them up, "I can name (and have tasted) 100 of your country's beers. Can you even name 100 American beers? Fifty? Twenty? Ten? Five? Then SHUT THE HELL UP." We're the best brewing nation on the planet. Period. We brew ALL the world's beer styles here.

Oh, and to keep this post on topic... Don't slam the hood/boot/bonnet. Bad things can happen.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.