Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor Tar is Out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914runnow
The oem goo is gone for some repairs etc....
Dyna Mat or??
Oh this will be used for a driver,
and my wifey will drive it too..
soooo quiet is good..
Thanx Gang!!
zeezee
I used dynamat type stuff. I'm happy with the results.
I think I put two layers on the firewall. Goes in easy.
Use "3M all purpose adhesive remover" to remove it.

SirAndy
I'm thinking about gluing something like dynamat to the backside of my carpet kits.

That way, it would still be easily removable if i need to dry out the floors, which happens more often than not.

When i get to that part, i'll let you know how well (or not) that works.
idea.gif
campbellcj
I painted my car's floors and rear bulkhead with grey semigloss POR-15. It's a racecar so does not have sound deadening or carpet, but I think it is a good rust preventative measure even if you are going to put something over it. Maybe especially if you're going to put padding or mat over it...
a914622
The idea behind dyno-mat is vibration/sound deadening. In order to do that it needs to be stuck to a body panel. If done with overlapping edges i could see it making the floor water proof, but then you would have a foot bath if the top was forgot in the rain .

After i get around to welding in the longs i plan on painting with a por-15 dull black and use a dynomat like product. I did it to the vanagon and the sound level difference is huge.

What ever you do DONT use the roofing tar stuff from home depot!! When the heater is in use or in the summer it stinks!

jcl
matthepcat
Leave the channels open from insulation on the floor boards to prevent future rust.
ellisor3
I used Dynamat in mine as well and it works great, even knocks down the heat in the summer. The only drawback is that it is heavy, and expensive compared to other materials.
FourBlades
Eastwood sells a knock off of dynamat that is half the price and just as good.

I bought some dynamat and then discovered eastwood mat and bought some of that.

Looking at them side by side I would guess the same factory makes both.

You need to put the metal tape they sell over the exposed edges because the black rubber stuff will melt in the sun in the summer and get all over everything.

I put some on the roof of my rusty old truck and the edges dripped down onto the carpet.

The way your floor pans are shaped with recessed ridges going down it is hard to force the mat down into the ridges and stay there. This creates air pockets that can trap water as Andy and others have said. Some world member cut all those strips out and left the ridges exposed. I doubt that makes it much more noisy.

John
gunny
I painted my floor with Por-15 then covered it with Hushmat. I also covered the inside firewall with the Hushmat. It's easy to install and works well for sound and heat.
jsayre914
I recommend Second Skin and Damplifier, I used the Por15 first, and I also kept the channels open. There is a link to the site in my thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...33&hl=sound

Car is much quieter, now its just the wind noise dry.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(914runnow @ Dec 5 2012, 07:51 PM) *

The oem goo is gone for some repairs etc....
Dyna Mat or??
Oh this will be used for a driver,
and my wifey will drive it too..
soooo quiet is good..
Thanx Gang!!

Wow the Eastwood stuff really got a bad /horrible reviews...
a914622
The brand i used was B-quiet. Cheaper than dynomat and did the same job.

Iv used this on cnc machine tool enclosures, stick a square on and the sheet metal stops ratteling.

There is also sheets you can get from McMaster. If memery is right a 3x6 sheet was 40.00. A little thicker than the Dynomat and not as moldable. I would do a search on there site

jcl
bulitt
So, someone on the board mentioned they had bought rubber yoga mats from target and laid them under the carpet and they worked well. Like 5$ each. I don't have any floors yet so I can't try it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.