Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the 911 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I have stumbled across a few nice 911sc's for sale recently and am kinda of interested. Most have sunroofs. Being 6'2" and carrying more height in my torso, the sunroof cars make things tighter than I would like in terms of head room. Can the brackets of a stockk 911 seat be modified to lower the seat?

I really want to keep the cars looking stock.

If not, do seats like the vintage reproductions from GTS sit you lower in the car?

In my 914 I used a short cushion. It worked awesome (however, the top was rarely on the car so it wasn't really an issue!)

Thanks! beer.gif
Scott S
brant
scott,

you should check out mike ginters non sunroof car
see if it has enough headroom

brant
Eric_Shea
I wanna be like Gint. I wanna be like Gint. Man, Gint comes home with a 911 and the CO crowd has to have one! Brant, you're up next!! biggrin.gif

Scott... On a more serious note, it's rather difficult to do. The rails bolt to the tunnel and the long. I agree with Brant, check out Mikes car and see. 911s and Porsches in general are known for their legroom and headroom. Not sure if a sunroof is going to hinder things that much.
beech4rd
I have a '75 911S with a sunroof, which is similar to the SC in terms of headroom. I'm 6'3" and change and I don't have a problem with either stock or sports seats. Helps to recline the seat a little.

Chris
Scott S
Ha!
I am not - in any way - ever going to be as cool as Gint. No matter what I do/own!

I did not know Gint pulled the trigger - awesome! Ferg told me that he was looking at a cool 911 last week - very fun.

In my case, I have had 3 really nice 911sc's "float by" in the past week. I really had no interest/was not looking for one at all - but these seem to be really nice cars. Amy likes "the ones with the big flat thing on the back" rolleyes.gif wub.gif
(I do not...)

I just spoke to Stephan at GTS - it looks like there are a few replacement options. That seems to be the best plan. I dont want to cut on a car at all.

And for the record, I think Brant would look damn sexy in a tail dragger...........

beerchug.gif
Scott S
I can get this one for pretty cheap....... the guy says it has a great stereo....
boogie_man
82 911SC here at 6'3" as well. I just slide down a bit and like others said
recline the seat very slightly. Done long drives in it and it's amazing what
a long distance driver they really are. Good luck with getting one, you
won't be disappointed. beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 6 2012, 10:49 AM) *

I wanna be like Gint. I wanna be like Gint. Man, Gint comes home with a 911 and the CO crowd has to have one! Brant, you're up next!! biggrin.gif

Scott... On a more serious note, it's rather difficult to do. The rails bolt to the tunnel and the long. I agree with Brant, check out Mikes car and see. 911s and Porsches in general are known for their legroom and headroom. Not sure if a sunroof is going to hinder things that much.

I'm not next
I sold my 83 SC to fund the vintage race car
had it for 7 years, but wanted the race car more.
GeorgeRud
If you can find a non sunroof car, you can pickup an additional nice or so of headroom. When I had my 911s, I chose a Targa and then a cabriolet to get unlimited headroom. I'm only 6 feet tall, but as I only have a 29" inseam, I need all the headroom I can find.
Unlimited is good!
carr914
I put a set of Sparco (like GTS) seats & have plenty of room (I'm 6'1")

If you can find a non-Sunroof car buy it in a heartbeat - you won't have the problems of a Sunroof (I never open mine) and they will be worth more when you sell it ( the Racers like them)

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 6 2012, 11:39 AM) *

I can get this one for pretty cheap....... the guy says it has a great stereo....

Rut Roooh... looks like Gint didn't make it home. Gint? Gint? You out there?
mhuber45
I had a 79SC and a 77' and both were roomy-I'm 6'2"- My sc did have some recarco's and not stock though
shelby/914
So Scott, is the GT-40 thing not going to happen? Thought that's why you sold the Martini.
Scott S
Hi Danny -
Still bickering on price. The car is on consignment - which is such a PIA in terms of negotiations. I have sent over several ads of very similar cars showing the amount they sold for. Apparently the one I am going after has a few gold bars hidden somewhere in it... rolleyes.gif

We'll see. It took me nearly 8 months to get the Morgan deal together.

The 911's literally fell out the sky. Wasn't looking at all. In fact, other than a simply kick ass Alpha, I have been very adamant (even to my wife) that I have no interest in replacing the 914 just to replace it. It has to "fit" - so to speak... biggrin.gif

Man I love that GT40.... drooley.gif

Cant wait to see your black car!
shelby/914
post on our Yahoo site when you are going to have another shop night and I'll bring it over.
Kirmizi
Rut Roooh... looks like Gint didn't make it home. Gint? Gint? You out there?

mad.gif Be nice Erc, Gint obviously missed driving a car with 6 cylinders.

Scotty, fingers crossed the GT40 deal works out biggrin.gif

Mike
bcheney
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 6 2012, 02:24 PM) *

If you can find a non sunroof car, you can pickup an additional nice or so of headroom. When I had my 911s, I chose a Targa and then a cabriolet to get unlimited headroom. I'm only 6 feet tall, but as I only have a 29" inseam, I need all the headroom I can find.
Unlimited is good!

I have a 89 Targa and love it! Fantastic touring cars...
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Dec 6 2012, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 6 2012, 02:24 PM) *

Unlimited is good!

I have a 89 Targa and love it! Fantastic touring cars...

That's your Wife's Car!
Eric_Shea
Targa = Girl car. Agreed.
Gint
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 6 2012, 03:25 PM) *
The 911's literally fell out the sky. Wasn't looking at all.
Neither was I when it dropped in my lap. I posted pics on fb last night Scotty. Come on over.
sixnotfour
Bright Like a Diamond ask Nikki Shea
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1983 911SC non-sunroof coupe and love it. I'm only 5'10" so no headroom issues even with a helmet on. I have Sparco seats but I think they are about the same height as the stock seats. In my opinion SC's are a great buy in the Porsche lineup.
RickS
At 6'3 I have no issues with my sunroof, except if I am tracking it. Then it's snug but still doable.

As for 911 targas being for girls, there are some pretty bad ass targas out there which the majority of 914s, other than modified, could never keep up with.
bcheney
QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 7 2012, 10:04 PM) *

At 6'3 I have no issues with my sunroof, except if I am tracking it. Then it's snug but still doable.

As for 911 targas being for girls, there are some pretty bad ass targas out there which the majority of 914s, other than modified, could never keep up with.

Yes sir...what the heck does Eric know anyways smile.gif !!
Eric_Shea
tongue.gif lol3.gif
sixnotfour
i just found another 75 911 non sunroof if you want to sunroof delete it,
very common, the 911 sunroof aint that great, coming from a washingtonian. my 87 carrera, I filled the roof in.. I got a big head though..
cary
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2012, 08:54 PM) *

i just found another 75 911 non sunroof if you want to sunroof delete it,
very common, the 911 sunroof aint that great, coming from a washingtonian. my 87 carrera, I filled the roof in.. I got a big head though..

Ditto .................. I too have massive brain capacity......... LOL

I'm 6'0 and its a tight fit with my AX helmet on. The 911 gets a complete restoration after I finish the 914 I'm working on now. When it goes under the knife I'll do a sunroof delete and I'll drop the seat rails.
Most common quick fix with the race car folks is dropping the rails. Gains about an inch. Which is a lot on the left side of your head as the roof rounds to the side.

For regular driving I don't think you'd have an issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.