Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blown Head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
442nd914s
A buddy of mine just bought engine from another enthusiast knowing that it came from a car that suffered a over heated problem. Once he started taking it appart, he discovered a chunk missing from the head. Oh, and in the same spot, gasket blown.
Is the aluminum head repairable? If so, where's a good place?

I know this isn't a teener problem or question. However, I figured with the mass amount of knowledge here, we might be able to gather some more ideas and input on this. Any info on this matter is greatly appreciated.
This came from a 2.2 Lt Honda S2000
ConeDodger
Looks pretty bad. Len Hoffman might be able to do something with it but I doubt it... sad.gif

Hoffman Automotive Machine. HAM here on in the world...

Oh wait, it came out of a Honda? Put some duct tape on it and it should be good to go! biggrin.gif Seriously, there are so many Honda's in the junkyard why bother? The S2000 part might be a problem though... Check on a S2000 board. They have a club in Sacramento, probably have a board.
bulitt
agree.gif

Replace.
reharvey
It's toast! agree.gif
Mark Henry
Can it be fixed? Yes
Would it be cheaper to find and use a better core? Yes
ldsgeek
Any aluminum head, short of total destruction, CAN be fixed. I have seen race heads with the intake valve stuffed sideways into the exhaust port repaired. Realistically, as has been stated, it is usually better to find a core that hasn't been so badly abused. The exceptions are the extremely rare and those that have had extensive port and chamber work done which would have to be duplicated on a new head.
gandalf_025
On an engine with a near 9000 rpm redline.. I wouldn't take the chance even if it were a reasonably priced fix. Replace it and don't have the concern of it failing..
mr914
Honda?

JB Weld and a Popsicle stick to repair

While its drying, get on the web and order a replacement head. Fiddle with JB Weld repair till Brown Santa brings replacement head, then sent to scrap yard
HAM Inc
Pretty serious detonation damage, to be sure!

Over the years I have repaired that sort of damage before on very valuable heads, but it was VERY time consuming.

brant
maybe the original owner had a superchargers on the car, perhaps with a pulley for increased boost....

sorry for your buddy
it looks like the seller "unloaded" onto your buddy.

monkeyboy
Don't forget to hang it up on the wall of blown up parts.
Elliot Cannon
Since it's made 0f aluminum, it won't even make a good boat anchor. av-943.gif
euro911
I agree with finding a new head and hanging this one on the 'Wall of Shame'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.