Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCAT deep sump install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Install went pretty smooth. Suprised by the angle down the unit seems to have. Its about 1" lower than the bar. I think I will fab a plate that goes from the firewall back to the bar set off with spacer to the level of the sump bottom. At least that way the whole front of the sump is not exposed and the first thing to impact.

Used hylomar and so far no leaks but I just drove her around the block. Will test it tomorrow.

What torque do the six allen bolts get on the plate? I set then at 60in/lbs

Thanks for the help.
machina
Ran her hard early this morning.

No leaks from the sump smilie_pokal.gif

Wierd watching the exhaust temps. They rise and fall so quickly depending if your at steady speed or under hard acceleration. They would range between 1100 => 1250 deg.

Head temps between 250 => 300 deg.

Oil temp mostly around 180, 190 but when the car is setting still or going real slow, heats up to around 225 real quick. I don't have any sealing tin and the fan has 1/2 the blades removed. Behaves kinda like I thought is would, cooler running hard and hotter standing still.

Bad news is the tranny is still leaking bad. I ruled out the breather so it is definitely the input shaft seal. Have to take care of that this week.
Korijo
I have a really nice Gene Berg deep sump on my bug, but it has 3" of lift biggrin.gif

could you modify the mount bracket ON the case ?
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. that isnt even the Scat DEEP DEEP sump. Looks good. I run them also. If you get overly concerned raise the front of the motor 1/2 an inch. We raise the engine/trans in the 4cyl race cars upwards of 3/4 of an inch for header clearance and sump clearance. Depending on what starter you are running you may have to dimple the trunk floor.

B
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2004, 04:02 PM)
If you get overly concerned raise the front of the motor 1/2 an inch. We raise the engine/trans in the 4cyl race cars upwards of 3/4 of an inch for header clearance and sump clearance. Depending on what starter you are running you may have to dimple the trunk floor.

Thanks, that is an awsome idea. Can I leave the tranny mounts alone?
machina
QUOTE(Korijo @ Nov 7 2004, 03:56 PM)
I have a really nice Gene Berg deep sump on my bug, but it has 3" of lift biggrin.gif

could you modify the mount bracket ON the case ?

Not sure what you mean about modifying the bracket?
Brad Roberts
Which rear mounts do you have ?

B
Korijo
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 7 2004, 12:05 PM)

Not sure what you mean about modifying the bracket?

add the half inch spacer to the underside of the bracket ? confused24.gif
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2004, 04:07 PM)
Which rear mounts do you have ?

B

The solid billet 911 mounts.
Brad Roberts
Raising the front and not doing "something" to the rear will put the trannys ears in bind. You can raise the front of the motor easily with the old-school Weltmeister tranny mounts everyone used to sell. With the solid ones you have.. I would shave 1/2 an inch off of them and raise the rear the same amount I raised the front. OR you could determine the angle of the tranny ears and shave the rear mounts to match that angle.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.