Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6AL- should I install one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a 2258 that is setup for spirited weekend driving and also auto-x. The car runs great, very pleased with the power. I have a MSD 6al with tach adapter laying around. I didn't install it cause I heard it doesn't help much and I thought it would just complicate my setup. Is it worth while for me to install it?

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Dec 7 2012, 06:53 PM) *

I have a 2258 that is setup for spirited weekend driving and also auto-x. The car runs great, very pleased with the power. I have a MSD 6al with tach adapter laying around. I didn't install it cause I heard it doesn't help much and I thought it would just complicate my setup. Is it worth while for me to install it?

I guess you asked the wrong question in the Classifieds section so I will tell you my feeling as it relates to my car!

It works great on my 6!

As for a 4, I will leave this to everyone else!
ConeDodger
Works fine on a 4 as well.

I have two of them that I am not using if you want to buy one. PM if you do.
Krieger
Why not? You have it. You can always remove it if you don't think its worthy.
jim_hoyland
I've run the MSD 6 for the past 5 years on my -4: I found it worked even better after installing the Mallory Unilite distributed. Engine runs cooler, doesn't,t ping on grades, starts faster, gets better gas mileage, and allows for better acceleration through a wider range of RPM.

One caution: set up your wiring so you can revert back to non-MSD in case of failure.
Recently, I disconnected the MSD for a rewiring project; first thing I noticed was a drop in gas mileage.... smile.gif
michael7810
What spark plug gap are you 4-cyl guys running with MSD. The MSD directions say 0.050 but the local shop who help tune my car recommended to stick with the stock 0.028.
jim_hoyland
I used the stock gap, I think it depends on your engine and of course which coil you use. I used a Bosch blue coil and have a slightly modified L-Jet F I
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 8 2012, 07:42 AM) *

What spark plug gap are you 4-cyl guys running with MSD. The MSD directions say 0.050 but the local shop who help tune my car recommended to stick with the stock 0.028.

I am running 0.045 on the 6!

The instructions say to increase the gap by 0.005 and test untill you find the sweet spot!

I am running a 6000 rpm rev-limiter for the street!
worn
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 8 2012, 07:42 AM) *

Mine died in about 150 miles. Fortunately it was triggered by a Crane set up so I could easily change it over to directly trigger the spark. Explains the intermittent failure to run the engine in traffic unsure.gif wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.