Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turkey Bowl 2012 - Summit Point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
MikeSpraggi
Here is a short in-car video of the second race of my 3 day race weekend at Summit Point Motorsports Park in W.Va. This race was black flagged on the second lap. I was down on power and torque, but ran the event anyway (getting that taken care of this off season). There were about 6 914's in the Group 2 (2 liter and greater) races with a lot of other nice vintage racers.

I built the yellow car specifically for vintage racing and this was my first vintage event that ever I raced in. What a rush!

Oh yea, that green 914 in front of me on the start is a real GT. The #19 Max Moritz car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TD6PeZritI

Click to view attachment
john rogers
Sounds like a 4 cylinder? If you are going to do many of these races I would suggest getting a 6 and putting that in it. A 2 liter six will last for years possibly as long as it is not over revved and has a good oil system/cooler and in the long run will be cheaper. The 4 cylinder engines I had would last 2 or 3 race weekends max and the first 2L six I had lasted 26 race weekends! That is usually 6 20 or 30 minute sessions a weekend. The down side is it used double the gas a 4 did BUT was a much better idea! Besides there are only a very few GT bodies type fours and they all raced IMSA I think?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(john rogers @ Dec 7 2012, 10:41 PM) *

Sounds like a 4 cylinder? If you are going to do many of these races I would suggest getting a 6 and putting that in it. A 2 liter six will last for years possibly as long as it is not over revved and has a good oil system/cooler and in the long run will be cheaper. The 4 cylinder engines I had would last 2 or 3 race weekends max and the first 2L six I had lasted 26 race weekends! That is usually 6 20 or 30 minute sessions a weekend. The down side is it used double the gas a 4 did BUT was a much better idea! Besides there are only a very few GT bodies type fours and they all raced IMSA I think?

It's a 2.2 six.
bulitt
Did the 914/6 blow his engine?
brant
Nice.

vintage racing is so addicting
all racing is great, but in vintage there is so much competition for a 914, unlike PCA club racing. the 6 or 7 years I ran it.

Great for you
The max owner was on the board a while back
I still think the 914's are growing in numbers for vintage

Did they run you out of class because of the bigger motor?
usually the wrong motor equates to exhibition...
if you are planning on motor work, you may want to reduce your bore and go legal. its such a great sport its important to honor it

you did a great job
it sounds like a little bit of jetting transition is in your future
you can work with the air corrections to adjust that transition and maybe play with the e-tubes also.

fun
b
zymurgist
Very cool. Rather "interesting" events on that run.
john rogers
Opps, sorry, the RPMs sounded a bit low and that is what you were talking about with being down on power. When I had the 2L six it was cammed to run up to about 8400 RPM in "emergencies" and normally shifted about 7200 to 7400 RPMs. I found that keeping the revs about 5000 in any corner made the car accelerate much better with little lag time. You will find the race sessions are much harder on the running gear and frequent oil changes (after every race weekend) and trans fluid changes will be the norm. I used to buy my 15-50 Mobile 1 oil in the big jugs at Walmart when they had them on sale and that was a huge help. I will imagine a trans cooler will be in your future also????
gsomersjr
Congratulations on your first event! Sounds like you completed the main objective for your first time....bringing it home in one piece. Summit was where I raced my 914 with SCCA. You can brake much much later and carry more speed into the corners but creep up on it. Don't try to get it all in one weekend. Try not to track behind a smoking car...they can spin you before you know what's happening. A few tips I picked up at Summit...stay tight on the start, this is where you will gain most of your positions for the whole race...don't lift going down the chute or you could visit the drivers left tire wall, backwards....a lot of drivers don't like to pass in 5 so if you see a chance, take it, they'll let you have it but run like hell so they can't get you back going up 8....10 is where all your lap time comes from. You have to go through here fast because you're entering a 3000' straight. It should scare you a little bit. If you've got a car you can't get around lay off him a bit and get a run on him through 10. You should pass him between start and 1. Also when you go through 8 aim your car to track center under the bridge. You can't see the entry for 10 until you crest tthe hill but this will take you straight to it. A good reference point for turn-in at 3 is the access road. It feels too late but you get used to it. Enjoy!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 8 2012, 04:51 AM) *

Did the 914/6 blow his engine?

The /6 ended up not blowing his engine, I heard it was the oil return tube, butl I don't remember seeing him run anymore that weekend.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 8 2012, 07:20 AM) *

Nice.

vintage racing is so addicting
all racing is great, but in vintage there is so much competition for a 914, unlike PCA club racing. the 6 or 7 years I ran it.

Great for you
The max owner was on the board a while back
I still think the 914's are growing in numbers for vintage

Did they run you out of class because of the bigger motor?
usually the wrong motor equates to exhibition...
if you are planning on motor work, you may want to reduce your bore and go legal. its such a great sport its important to honor it

you did a great job
it sounds like a little bit of jetting transition is in your future
you can work with the air corrections to adjust that transition and maybe play with the e-tubes also.

fun
b

No, I didn't get run out of class. For VRG, Group 2 which I ran in the Turkey Bowl, or more specifically class C1 (part of Group 2) permits 1.6 to 2.5 liters production sports cars up to 1972. Most of the 914's were a "little" above 2 liters if you know what I mean. But you're right, the teeners with the larger engines run with the Big Bore production sports cars. VRG is a very good group to run with.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(john rogers @ Dec 8 2012, 06:49 PM) *

Opps, sorry, the RPMs sounded a bit low and that is what you were talking about with being down on power. When I had the 2L six it was cammed to run up to about 8400 RPM in "emergencies" and normally shifted about 7200 to 7400 RPMs. I found that keeping the revs about 5000 in any corner made the car accelerate much better with little lag time. You will find the race sessions are much harder on the running gear and frequent oil changes (after every race weekend) and trans fluid changes will be the norm. I used to buy my 15-50 Mobile 1 oil in the big jugs at Walmart when they had them on sale and that was a huge help. I will imagine a trans cooler will be in your future also????

Yes on the trans cooler in the future, assuming that the Mayan calendar perdiction doesn't come to pass on Dec. 21 this year.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(gsomersjr @ Dec 11 2012, 03:42 PM) *

Congratulations on your first event! Sounds like you completed the main objective for your first time....bringing it home in one piece. Summit was where I raced my 914 with SCCA. You can brake much much later and carry more speed into the corners but creep up on it. Don't try to get it all in one weekend. Try not to track behind a smoking car...they can spin you before you know what's happening. A few tips I picked up at Summit...stay tight on the start, this is where you will gain most of your positions for the whole race...don't lift going down the chute or you could visit the drivers left tire wall, backwards....a lot of drivers don't like to pass in 5 so if you see a chance, take it, they'll let you have it but run like hell so they can't get you back going up 8....10 is where all your lap time comes from. You have to go through here fast because you're entering a 3000' straight. It should scare you a little bit. If you've got a car you can't get around lay off him a bit and get a run on him through 10. You should pass him between start and 1. Also when you go through 8 aim your car to track center under the bridge. You can't see the entry for 10 until you crest tthe hill but this will take you straight to it. A good reference point for turn-in at 3 is the access road. It feels too late but you get used to it. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. After having many DE's at Summit main, although not with this 914/6, but a stock one instead, I've learned some of the suggestions you mentioned. I've stopped tapping the brake before turn 4 and now maintain/accelerate going through the chute. Took a little bit to get used to this (a lot of DE instructors suggest tapping the brake here), but once you get it, it's amazing how fast you close on cars coming into 5. The carousel through turn 1 is my favorite part of the track. When the car is running well, I believe I will "make up some lost time" there. Braking late into turn one is also great for the teeners as it's amazing how many cars we can outbrake! This whole vintage racing experience is such a rush.
cambum4
looked like you having fun - I am starting a new project and still looking to sell my 3.2 in the spring - glad you got to run.
Bill Smith
jeff
A pinto.... I know they were fast but....
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(jeff @ Jan 14 2013, 07:50 PM) *

Yea, I know .... I was really, really down on power and the had an issue with the floats in the carbs going around turns sputtering. Wait 'til next season, I'll pass a few Pintos biggrin.gif .
brant
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 21 2013, 01:48 AM) *

Yea, I know .... I was really, really down on power and the had an issue with the floats in the carbs going around turns sputtering. Wait 'til next season, I'll pass a few Pintos biggrin.gif .

Mike do you run an A/F meter?
that would clarify for sure... but usually sputtering is rich in the corners
there can be multiple reasons after working on the floats and jetting, I'd start to look at percolation modifications, and phenolic blocks on the manifolds
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 21 2013, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 21 2013, 01:48 AM) *

Mike do you run an A/F meter?
that would clarify for sure... but usually sputtering is rich in the corners
there can be multiple reasons after working on the floats and jetting, I'd start to look at percolation modifications, and phenolic blocks on the manifolds

No A/F meter right now. It's at a shop that comes very highly regarded, especially for air cooled P-cars. Those are good points to address. Thanks.
Randal

Looks like you're having way to much fun. biggrin.gif

Nice machine and great workmanship!
MikeSpraggi
Here's a link to the first practice session. Cold track, cold tires, first time driving this car more than a couple of laps, blah, blah, excuse, excuse biggrin.gif .......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeloUcWaYGs

pcar916
Truly the wrong link Mike.
tscrihfield
Anyone else notice the hood fly up on the MG on the left @ 33 seconds in?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Mar 19 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Truly the wrong link Mike.

What the ....... who is that guy??!!!

Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeloUcWaYGs

MikeSpraggi
Fixed the earlier link. Here's the correct link to the practice session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeloUcWaYGs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.