Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I am getting ready to install my rebuilt engine and want to find leaks in the tranny. I replaced the reverse switch [it was leaking for sure] and I am planning to replace the shift shaft seal.

Is there a good way to test for other leaks, say put in tranny oil and let it sit?
Joe Ricard
If you didn't replace input and output seals you may find out the hard way where the transaxle is leaking. the input seal will soak the clutch with oil. PITA and WALLET to not do this inexpensive job. Speedometer O-ring also. Cheap and easy but will make a mess on the exhaust which will stink to high heaven.
newdeal2
My clutch was dry when I pulled the engine...is it still a good idea to do the seals?I have a new set of output shaft seals...are they an easy install?
newdeal2
PS..were you refering to the mainshaft seal?
Joe Ricard
Yea Input (main shaft) Whatever make you happy. What does a clutch cost these days. Compared to a 10 dollar seal.
newdeal2
agree.gif

just wanted to be sure cool.gif
Red-Beard
This is a no brainer. If the tranny is out of the car, replace all of the seals.
newdeal2
Your assuming I have one! cool.gif
Red-Beard
no no no. I said a _no brainer_. smoke.gif
newdeal2
wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.