Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another stolen 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
We've been trying to decide what to do about my son-in-law's (onrails) car since his trip thru ditchland, and yesterday it was confirmed. We got a hot tip about a teen for sale, checked it out, called the owner, made the deal, and drove it home.

2.0L
FI
no structrual rust
no AC
factory f and r swaybar
rear window defog
originally yellow. repainted red
gas tank cleaned and fuel lines replaced
Vin # 3895 (113 from the last one?)

At 2K cash, I think we really did steal this car. smilie_pokal.gif

Several pics to follow
TheCabinetmaker
ss
TheCabinetmaker
qq
TheCabinetmaker
ww
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
qe
TheCabinetmaker
did ya check out the camber on the lawn mower?
TheCabinetmaker
opps!
TheCabinetmaker
fg
TheCabinetmaker
fd
TheCabinetmaker
fd
TheCabinetmaker
last one
Bleyseng
Replacement seats but nice interior. What was the original color?

Just slap on some 4 bolt Fuchs and Way Cool.

Geoff biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah, it came with the original seats and a complete 1.8 w/ljet. I'm looking forward to messing with the Ljet. something to broaden my scope of things.

Could this be the youngest 914? Or at least one of them?
onrails
original color was yellow,,,,,probably what it will be again.
never the less,,,,,,,i'm driving a 914 again! monkeydance.gif
it was a long month or so w/ out one.
but i think we really scored on this lil' car!
what does everyone think of that serial no.??
was this one of the last?

BRIAN
seanery
way to go brian! smilie_pokal.gif
Brett W
You realize Zeibart makes your car rust everywhere. Even in places where they can't from the factory.
Rusty
I need to find a deal like that. clap56.gif

One time, I owned a 76 2.0. It had holes drilled in the doorjam (with plugs) from where someone "rust proofed" it. The sad thing is that they drilled holes in places they could have just reached up under the car! Jackasses! ar15.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
GWN7
Looks good beerchug.gif

But what about the other 4 I saw in the background?

Spares?

biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 6 2004, 04:41 PM)
We've been trying to decide what to do about my son-in-law's (onrails) car since his trip thru ditchland, and yesterday it was confirmed. We got a hot tip about a teen for sale, checked it out, called the owner, made the deal, and drove it home.

2.0L
FI
no structrual rust
no AC
factory f and r swaybar
rear window defog
originally yellow. repainted red
gas tank cleaned and fuel lines replaced
Vin # 3895 (113 from the last one?)

At 2K cash, I think we really did steal this car. smilie_pokal.gif

Several pics to follow

Well, I have six on my list past that one, but I think you got a great deal, and it is rather a late production car. Way to go guys. smilie_pokal.gif
onrails
the 4 in the background are spares,,,,,and the orange one that i just wrecked.

rusty,,,,,,,,the bastards drilled holes all over this too,,,never seen this technique before.

brett,,,,what's the story on that zeibart,,,,,,,never heard of it.

thanks for the help

BRIAN smoke.gif
Katmanken
Ziebart usta be a good national rustproofing company. If it was done on a new car, it probably provided a lotta protection over the years.

The holes are drilled to place rust protectants inside rocker panels and other sealed body cavities.

They usually use cavity wax (lovely name, can't wait to use it!) inside the longs that is a thick honey colored stuff that dries on the surface and remains moist underneath. Scratch the surface, and it oozes to fill the scratch. They also include rust inhibitors in the stuff that can protect the outside surfaces of the panel. Not good for abraision resistance so they don't spray it under the fenders or on the bottom of the car. Cavity waxes provided the most rust protection in a several year test run by one of those British car mags. They sprayed half of one side of a steel panel with the protectant and then scored across it with a nail. Then they placed the panels in a fixture outside and sprayed them with salty water once a week for several years. Then they wrote the test.

From my own experience, when I lived in Florida, they The VW dealer) sprayed my bug with this cavity wax (cosmolene?) stuff all over the car and the black stuff under the car. That car spent 10 years on the beach getting bathed in salt spray every day (wash the windshield before driving to see!) and it didn't rust (unlike the POS HONDA with the same treatment).

Where rustproofing gets a bad name is when you apply it to the car later in life (to a dirty car) or when you spray a can of the DIY cheap stuff onto the bottom of the car and it forms a "patch" that sorta adheres to the dirt and salt on the bottom of the car.

Removal of old damaged under the fender rustproofing can be a good thing. It won't last forever and when it begins to flake, it can cause rust. wacko.gif

Ken
Hi_Fi_Guy
Cool car. Looks like a lot of god stuff to work with there. Can't wait to see the progress.
d7n7master
Awesome Dood!!! Congrats!!! My '73 looked just like that when I bought it 5 years ago. Looked like the po used spray cans for paint. Sanded it down to prep for new paint. Found that it had been (orig) yellow after I sanded thru red, green, black, red again and then finally - yellow.
Re-painted it yellow & damn if it didn't go faster. wink.gif
Nothing compares to a 'teener. Shift, smile, shift, smile, mountain road, BIG smile biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Whoa.. I see a teener collection in the background..LOL Be careful. They multiply like rabbits.

Glad to see you in another car clap56.gif

B
ws91420
Stole mine for $800. Motor locked. Trans locked. Now on road. 76 2.0 #3450 driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.