Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnpierre
hey everybody

quick ? for you all. out of now were my idle is running high. righ now it is at 2200 rpm's when a gear i not engaged. is something stuck or in need of some WD40? can i trouble shoot this myself in a couple of minutes? or something that i need to have addressed by a more knowledgeable 914er? the weather is great here in LA and i want to take the 1.7 out for a sunday drive with the wife.
bruce54
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Dec 9 2012, 09:39 AM) *

hey everybody

quick ? for you all. out of now were my idle is running high. righ now it is at 2200 rpm's when a gear i not engaged. is something stuck or in need of some WD40? can i trouble shoot this myself in a couple of minutes? or something that i need to have addressed by a more knowledgeable 914er? the weather is great here in LA and i want to take the 1.7 out for a sunday drive with the wife.

check your vacuum hoses to distributer and decelerator valve.
kevin311
Are you running carbs or FI? Is it running well otherwise?
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak or a stuck AAR but will need more info.
I'm no expert but these would be my first checks.
JawjaPorsche
I had high idle on my 1.7 until I replaced my vacuum hoses. Now it is at 800.
johnpierre
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Dec 9 2012, 09:53 AM) *

Are you running carbs or FI? Is it running well otherwise?
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak or a stuck AAR but will need more info.
I'm no expert but these would be my first checks.

FI, and otherwise running properly
johnpierre
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 9 2012, 10:00 AM) *

I had high idle on my 1.7 until I replaced my vacuum hoses. Now it is at 800.

where are the vacuum hoses located and what do they look like?
kevin311
They should be the rubber hoses that follow the diagram in this link.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_17FI_diag.htm

Sorry I can't attach pics on my iPad.

Just check for any brittle hoses or cracks and tighten up all the hose clamps.
beerchug.gif
brant
it sounds like you don't do a lot of wrenching...
probably (unless you've done it in the last 5 years) it wouldn't hurt to replace all of the vacuum hoses.
bulitt
So, just to confirm. The car was running and idling properly, then all of a sudden it started idling fast?
johnpierre
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 9 2012, 12:18 PM) *

So, just to confirm. The car was running and idling properly, then all of a sudden it started idling fast?

correct
johnpierre
so now that most of you have mentioned the vac houses i will check them tomorrow and get back to you. maybe with some pics. because as one of you so rightly pointed out i have never worked on a 914 before. but i have no problem trying to sort this stuff out on my own and it seems that most of you are willing to help out which i think is so cool. biggrin.gif
euro911
Hopefully, there's enough slack in your hoses to snip the cracked ends off confused24.gif

If not, there's a couple of local 'VW' stores around here that carry all the different sizes of braded-cloth hoses.
JawjaPorsche
I know this may sound stupid but replace each hose one at a time. That way you will not screw up and forget what goes where! It has happen. A picture or two before you start does not hurt either.

Good luck and I hope the new vacuum hoses solve your high idle.
euro911
JP is going to drop by the shop this morning to replace his speedo cable, we'll see if we can figure out his idle problem too shades.gif
DRPHIL914
I have the 2.0, dont know much about the 1.7, but if those are if i remember correctly, a d-jet, then u have the same AAR also, and it could be that is is stuck open, and would cause the high idle as well. other wise, # 2 - vac hose or, #3, intake runners-plenum - i found my intake runner boots that attach the intake runners to the plenum were leaking so i would just buy the whole kit and replace it all! -

good luck, sounds like you are in good hands with euro911 helping you!

pw
Robert21
dry.gif I Had the same problem , idled at 2000 rpm until warm. it was the decelerator value was stuck. but it could be a hose too. ?
euro911
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 10 2012, 11:42 AM) *
... good luck, sounds like you are in good hands with euro911 helping you!

pw
I don't know if I'd go that far, Phil laugh.gif

Not sure why, but I found some disconnected items. Being in So Cal, I can understand the cold-start valve connector being unplugged, but why would the dizzy's retard hose be plugged? Maybe the PO forgot to reconnect it after a timing session? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We completed the main job (speedo cable replacement) and trimmed back a few cracked vacuum hoses as time allowed. Most appeared to be OK ... just old and brittle (like me).

Dissected the old speedo cable - apparently the cable got bound up somewhere in the rear quarter section, causing the cable to spin inside the rear crimped fitting.

Click to view attachment

Adjusted the air bypass needle on the TB to get the idle speed down, but it's still a little erratic. JP is going to replace all the vacuum hoses with new ones.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
popcorn[1].gif

Good start!
euro911
OK, my source for FI system vacuum hoses dried up. There's a couple of other local vendors around here, but their prices are somewhat ... high.

Who carries all the nice cloth-covered metric hoses for good prices? (for a '73 1.7L D-Jet)
TheCabinetmaker
Bughaus.com, Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.