Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bigger Oil Filter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys, what do you use for oil filters?

i use mahle and have been happy. when i got my motor, it had a huge MANN filter (like 2x as big). The extra size could hold more oil etc...

and make replacement easier. let me know....

Oil Change and Valve Adjust tommorow- (got pretty noisy after the AX)
ChrisReale
The Mahle and Mann filters I use are the same physically. Not sure what you had...I stick with the OEM. Mahle or Mann, they both work.
TheCabinetmaker
Mahle and Mann (or any other) are the same size for a 914. A 924 filter will fit on the 914, but it's about half the size. Maybe it had the wrong filter to begin with?
Aaron Cox
it was a MANN filter- it was twice as tall as the 914 mahles.....
seanery
You can get one for a 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi and put it on your car!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 6 2004, 08:39 PM)
You can get one for a 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi and put it on your car!

lame.

heres my next question.. do all porsche filters have the same thread? like a big 6 cyl filter
seanery
seriously, it's the same part. Went to autozone to get some filters and found they take the same one.
johnlush
I have used a filter (don't have a Mahle or Mann number handy) that is listed for an early '80's VW Rabbit diesel. Can't remember where I first heard of that - maybe one of the old p-car or type2 lists. It's not twice as big but I'd bet it is 50% bigger depth-wise. Not sure if there's any negatives to using it but I'd think you'd want to be kinda careful running a filter not specifically designed for the application. (that's my way of saying if you try it and end up with rod bearings falling out of your tailpipe, don't blame me!) I liked the fact that if looked like it might hold an extra half-quart of oil...
dgw
John,

You forgot the dirt bike, or is that one gone? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.