Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old school national concours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Found these pics today from the Reston Parade (1989). Remember fondly when the longest/skinny fingers helped prep the car & the longer fingers of the judges ruled. Judges were actually encouraged to dig in & find filth! Though not in these pics, Jon Lowe had the fingers of a pianist & could reach into places that no one else could even get close to.

We did terribly at this event, finishing 0.3 points behind the winner (Cole Scrogham). Shouldn't have worn A008R's for the autocross.

I loved those forms of competition & really wish PCA would come back to earth.
Tom_T
Nice!

Long skinny fingers still rule in Zone 8, but the tires won't get you gigged anymore since originality is gone at region & zone levels.

With all my traveling this year, I could only judge 4 or 5 CdEs in Z8. dry.gif

PS - lots more 914s back then too. We're lucky to get 2-3 now.

Merry & Happy! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2012, 09:42 PM) *

Nice!

Long skinny fingers still rule in Zone 8, but the tires won't get you gigged anymore since originality is gone at region & zone levels.

With all my traveling this year, I could only judge 4 or 5 CdEs in Z8. dry.gif

PS - lots more 914s back then too. We're lucky to get 2-3 now.

Merry & Happy! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////

Tom.
The best to you & yours!
tod914
Great photos Pat! Car looks fantastic. Same thoughts as Tom. Look at all those teeners participating. They all look equally as nice. Question; were you asked to turn the wheels durning judging?
Tom_T
Thanx Pat!

Guy in lower left in Pat's pic below - this where I usually get assigned on Full Concours - undercarriage engine or opposite - if not Engine Compartment! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 9 2012, 11:45 PM) *

Great photos Pat! Car looks fantastic. Same thoughts as Tom. Look at all those teeners participating. They all look equally as nice. Question; were you asked to turn the wheels durning judging?

As I recall, yes. To make it easier for the front suspension judge.

This was a really tough concours. All the cars on the line were prepped amd ready - toughest one I've been in! My recollection is that 0.9 points separated first from fourth! The good old days!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 10 2012, 05:21 PM) *

Thanx Pat!

Guy in lower left in Pat's pic below - this where I usually get assigned on Full Concours - undercarriage engine or opposite - if not Engine Compartment! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

shades.gif

That's tough duty. I can get down still, but getting back up requires grunts, scream and GD's. I hate getting old.
JawjaPorsche
Amen to that! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 10 2012, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 10 2012, 05:21 PM) *

Thanx Pat!

IPB Image

shades.gif

That's tough duty. I can get down still, but getting back up requires grunts, scream and GD's. I hate getting old.

JeffBowlsby
Those headlight motors look like chrome... wink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 11 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Those headlight motors look like chrome... wink.gif

Yeah, went a little overgoard with Simichrome. Didn't hurt me but I've left them go back to the oxidized pot metal since then.

Simichrome is great stuff for removing crud from any metal....in moderation.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 9 2012, 06:35 PM) *

Found these pics today from the Reston Parade (1989).

Uh, Pat, in the interests of accuracy, didn't the 1989 Parade occur in Traverse City Michigan and the Reston (Va.) Parade happened way back in 1979? chair.gif

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here is Pat's car in 1979 at the Reston Parade Concours with his "entourage" biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
You are correct about the venue.
I sometimes get them all mixed up.
Regardless, the numerus ladies surrounding me got a kick out of my donkey impression.
For good reason.
You will pay for this!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.