Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru EG33 6 cylinder conversion w/Boxster transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
precisionchassis
I know this engine has been used in the 914 chassis before, and it's an awesome alternative to the Porsche 6 conversion, but it's never been done with a Boxster/Audi transaxle. Here are a few pictures to get things started.

First, some rust repair around the "hell hole". All of the shiny or grinded metal is new material to replace the cancer spots...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Engine mounted to transaxle...
IPB Image

Mocking up the drivetrain...
IPB Image

Nothing ground breaking with the engine mounting cradle really, other than the use of the stock Boxster transmission mounting brackets which meant the engine cradle goes above the axles rather than below.
IPB Image

wingnut86
There's probably a thread here somewhere with these details, but where did you source the adapter plate, clutch, etc? What's the max HP rating on the Boxer tranny BTW?

Great work...
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
precisionchassis
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Dec 10 2012, 09:02 AM) *

There's probably a thread here somewhere with these details, but where did you source the adapter plate, clutch, etc? What's the max HP rating on the Boxer tranny BTW?

Great work...

We make the adapter plate and flywheel. The clutch is an OEM type Boxster clutch.

Hard to get any solid "horsepower rating" figures on the Boxster 5 speed. It's actually an Audi 012 transaxle so you might have an easier time finding information on it's strength by searching the Audi world. From a size comparison, I would say it's components are along the lines of the 915 transaxle.

Porsche used this transaxle in the 2.5 and 2.7 Boxster base models and say factory ratings of just over 220 hp so they should work well with this Subaru 6 cylinder which is rated at 230hp.

We are working on putting 320-340hp through this transaxle in a Boxster using a Subie 4 cylinder turbo engine.
precisionchassis
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
DBCooper
WOW. Where's that clapping hands icon?
Mike Bellis
What starter are you using? Is it in the factory location?

I will be hammering ~320hp on my boxster tranny with my turbo Audi engine soon. I'll let everybody know if I blow it up...
precisionchassis
My adapter kit uses a Subaru starter in the stock Subaru location, but because of the favorable location if the CV flanges versus the Subaru trans axles (a difference of 3"), there is no need to modify the chassis to clear the starter.
abnrdo
Very nice! What headers did you use?

beer.gif Way cool!
precisionchassis
I made headers. No attempt was made to make them equal length. The goal was to keep things affordable.
FourBlades

That is sweet.

914 handling with a modern drivetrain...

John
DBCooper
You used the word "kit" so now say more. Lots more, and including mainly when and how much. Thanks.
precisionchassis
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 26 2013, 06:29 AM) *

You used the word "kit" so now say more. Lots more, and including mainly when and how much. Thanks.

Well we never really intended to manufacture anything specifically for the 914 chassis. Our adapter kit was made for Boxster engine conversion. It just so happens that the basic adapter kit can be used in other mid-engine applications including the 914's. As of right now, we don't have plans to produce 914 specific engine mounting cradles (although that could change if there is enough interest to justify a small production run), but the basic adapter kits are available, and include a billet adapter plate, billet aluminum flywheel, modified Subaru starter, and hardware kit. If you want more info than that, please send me an email at precisionchassis@mail.com
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.