Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new to the world of 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
Lookie what I came home with a couple of weeks ago! 1972, all rust removed and repaired, professional mother of pearl white paint. new seats, bumpers rechromed, new carpet, new windshield, new this, new that! smile.gif
http://www.facebook.com/james.d.lane?ref=tn_tnmn

I'll have to figure out how to post. Anyway, long story short...a co-worker of mine treated this project as a payit forward and sold me the restored car and the complete but unrestored 76 for a grand total that is about unmentionable on here.
I'm excited to be a part of this community. I am anxiously reconnecting all the electrical hardware and prepping the engine and trany to install so I can take her for a maiden voyage!
James
struckn
welcome.png

Looks like a solid car, you're going to love driving it and it won't be like anything you've ever driven before unless you were into high speed go carts that are street legal.

This is the place to be to find all the answers.
ellisor3
Very nice! You will not fit in on this forum, your car has no rust and is not on jack stands. lol-2.gif
Anyway

welcome.png
wingnut86
Come on, rub some road salt in hidden places on her and join our party

party.gif

welcome.png

happy11.gif
Socalandy
Congrats and very nice welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 11 2012, 07:09 PM) *
I am anxiously reconnecting all the electrical hardware and prepping the engine and trany to install so I can take her for a maiden voyage!

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby ... shades.gif

welcome.png
jsayre914
welcome.png

Looks great. Get ready for FUN rolleyes.gif
Gint
welcome.png Grats! Where in SW CO are you?
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Tom
welcome.png
And agree.gif , you in troublel now! smile.gif beerchug.gif

Tom
abnrdo
Nice! Welcome to the world!! beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
welcome.png Best of luck with the new ride. Hopefully, one day, it will be faster than any of those bikes in the corner. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Welcome
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness! Get your checkbook ready!
welcome.png
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2012, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 11 2012, 07:09 PM) *
I am anxiously reconnecting all the electrical hardware and prepping the engine and trany to install so I can take her for a maiden voyage!

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby ... shades.gif

welcome.png

Yep...after seeing a few internet pics of burned down 914's, I'll gladly keep a fire extinguisher handy. smile.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 11 2012, 08:59 PM) *

welcome.png Grats! Where in SW CO are you?

Durango area. About 40 miles southwest of Durango on the family cattle ranch. I used to live in Denver for several years between 1984-1996. Golden, Lakewood, Arvada, Denver.
jdlmodelt
Thanks everyone. I've noticed that parts are pricey. All the aluminum/chrome trim has been replaced on the 72. Bumpers re chromed, new seats, new carpet, new windshield, new body/paint job, new headlights, new exhaust, all new fuel lines with the braided steel jackets, new coil, new rubber seals throughout the car, new brake lines, new stainless fuel lines, new vinyl on targa posts, fuel tank cleaned....not sure if I have missed anything...The 76 is complete but unrestored, but completely disassembled, it needs the two rear fenders repaired. It had flairs of some kind that rotted off and parts of the top fender area above the wheels are missing. I'll get some pics of it when I get it unloaded from the livestock trailer that it rode home in.

The previous owner said he had about $6k in the whole project and I don't doubt that at all. He took the wiring harness out of the 76 and put it in the 72 with intentions of installing the 76 2.0l FI in the 72. I'll probably follow his plans with that. The 72 had the 1.7l in it. Here's a pic of the engine going in. Not sure what the color scheme was all about but it works.
jClick to view attachment
jdlmodelt
Oh that's right, he added some kind of sound dampening dense material to the cab floor and I was peaking underneath the car last night and in the engine bay, it's all been repainted as well. Pretty clean car.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 11 2012, 09:30 PM) *

welcome.png Best of luck with the new ride. Hopefully, one day, it will be faster than any of those bikes in the corner. beerchug.gif

That's funny! My road bike gets going pretty fast when I participate in the annual Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. I think I put the brakes on around 42mpg headed down Coal Bank Pass and Molass Pass. There's only 17lbs between me and the road and those skinny tires.
FourBlades

Looks like a nice car. piratenanner.gif

John
aharder
welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
I know what you mean. I have hit 55 on my road bike and you start thinking death thoughts at that speed! I have done some mountain biking in Durango. I really like the Hermosa Creek Trail.

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 08:34 AM) *

That's funny! My road bike gets going pretty fast when I participate in the annual Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. I think I put the brakes on around 42mpg headed down Coal Bank Pass and Molass Pass. There's only 17lbs between me and the road and those skinny tires.

DEC
welcome.png smilie_flagge6.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 12 2012, 07:13 AM) *

I know what you mean. I have hit 55 on my road bike and you start thinking death thoughts at that speed! I have done some mountain biking in Durango. I really like the Hermosa Creek Trail.

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 08:34 AM) *

The mountain biking here is outstanding. I do both mountain and road about equally. They both have their theraputic effects.
j
boogie_man
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 11 2012, 07:49 PM) *

Congrats and very nice welcome.png

jdlmodelt
the 1976 parts car.
jdlmodelt
what is some quick adjustment advice i can do to increase the gap at the bottom of this door?Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 07:31 PM) *

what is some quick adjustment advice i can do to increase the gap at the bottom of this door?

Look for rust in the pass. side longitudinal, that gap very much looks like your car has some serious rust problems ...
sad.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 12 2012, 08:48 PM) *

what is some quick adjustment advice i can do to increase the gap at the bottom of this door?

Look for rust in the pass. side longitudinal, that gap very much looks like your car has some serious rust problems ...
sad.gif

I will have to talk to the previous owner. he said they broke it all down and removed/repaired all rust. I wondered if they didn't have a brace in the door way when they repaired sections under the door. It looks to me like the body is upheaved, not sagging.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 12 2012, 08:48 PM) *

sad.gif

I will have to talk to the previous owner. he said they broke it all down and removed/repaired all rust. I wondered if they didn't have a brace in the door way when they repaired sections under the door. It looks to me like the body is upheaved, not sagging.

I see the correct repairs all over on the undercarriage of this car I don't think they would have intentionally neglected anything. He put a few thousand into the body work and paint job.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 07:51 PM) *

The tub looks bent. #1 Rust, #2 bad welding/hot/no brace, #3 Crash damage
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 10:17 AM) *

the 1976 parts car.

where do I find small fender sections to repair the two rear fenders that were cut out? I would prefer to bring it back to the factory shape. If I did flares. I'd only do it in back and they would have to be minimalist
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 12 2012, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 07:51 PM) *

The tub looks bent. #1 Rust, #2 bad welding/hot/no brace, #3 Crash damage

Okay, I'll inquire as to the extend of repair and damage. thanks!
j
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 10:01 PM) *

the 1976 parts car.

where do I find small fender sections to repair the two rear fenders that were cut out? I would prefer to bring it back to the factory shape. If I did flares. I'd only do it in back and they would have to be minimalist

I have fenders if you need them. Yours for the cost of shipping. I have all 4 corners.

Shoe
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 12 2012, 10:10 PM) *

the 1976 parts car.

I have fenders if you need them. Yours for the cost of shipping. I have all 4 corners.

Shoe

Do yours cover the cut outs on the rear fender in the picture?
My zip code is 81137.
shipping idea for the rears?
j
jdlmodelt
I got the engine to fire over for a few seconds last night! Sounds sweet! I just need to smooth out the bugs and engage some of the injection troubleshooting and tuning on this site and see where that gets me next. smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 11:12 PM) *

the 1976 parts car.

Shoe

My zip code is 81137.
j

The fenders I have are what was removed to install flares. Sorry for the late response. I will get the fenders out this weekend and see about a price on shipping.

Shoe
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 2 2013, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 12 2012, 11:12 PM) *

the 1976 parts car.

Shoe

My zip code is 81137.
j

The fenders I have are what was removed to install flares. Sorry for the late response. I will get the fenders out this weekend and see about a price on shipping.

Shoe

Thanks Shoe!
shelby/914
Don't forget to join the local group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Colorado-914/

Two years our Red Rocks Classic event ended up in Durango down from our weekend meeting place in Ouray.
Gint
Actually, Durango would be a great place to have another RRC.

You want fenders to put on the parts car?
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 2 2013, 06:57 PM) *

Actually, Durango would be a great place to have another RRC.

You want fenders to put on the parts car?

Yep Gint I am looking for fenders to repair the parts car.
dreberg
Congrats! you are in for it now. I remember about 15 years ago when I got my first 72 914, the first thing I did was to fool with wires in the dash, figgering to reattach some guage and burned "the insulation" off 2 of my fingers! Ah the smell of burned flesh in the morning.. Enjoy
jdlmodelt
Yep trying to figure out why the engine is surging between fast idle to nearly stalling and back to fast idle while I am just barely holding the pedal down in constant position?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 2 2013, 06:15 PM) *

Yep trying to figure out why the engine is surging between fast idle to nearly stalling and back to fast idle while I am just barely holding the pedal down in constant position?

Vacuum leak ... shades.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 2 2013, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 2 2013, 06:15 PM) *

Vacuum leak ... shades.gif

Thanks! I'll check for that. Lots of hoses on the 76 2.0L
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.