Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simple Green parts cleaner question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have available to me a chance to purchase a used, but working Simple Green parts washer. I have always wanted a parts washer, but with the garage being attached to the house I didn't like the idea of having one in the garage because of smells and storing flamable liquid.

A friend or a friend has this Simple Green parts cleaner for cheap, Like $100 cheap. These retail for over $2k new. blink.gif Says it works great and he would keep it, but has had a few back operations and just can work in the his garage anymore. I like the fact that the cleaner is water based and feel like it would be fine to use in the garage.

Anyone ever use one of these? What did you think? For $100 I am going to buy it.

Here is the link to a new unit like he has.

Simple Green parts washer
underthetire
Well worth it, but be aware it's Aqueous type. The soap is special(expensive) and you MUST keep the tank plugged in and heated at all times.
DBCooper
My uncle had one, because also couldn't have large petroleum based solvent containers in his shop. He didn't heat his except in Winter (shop was unheated) and it cleaned OK, but not nearly as well as solvent cleaners. His procedure was to wet and wait, then continue serious scrubbing or whatever after the Simple Green had penetrated well. It was acceptable, but no one did jigs or anything. It gave us all something to complain about, which we appreciated, but reality is that for his situation, and maybe yours too, it was the best available alternative. Sounds like a great deal, and I personally would grab it.

Oh, I do remember him complaining (we all did that a lot in his shop) that the solvent didn't last as long as petroleum solvents. Lots easier to deal with, though.
underthetire
Didn't last long if its not kept heated. The enzymes die off if it gets cold. We probably have 30 of them here with ozzyjuice.
http://www.chemfree.com/compare/ozzyjuice-compare.html
DBCooper
Huh, I haven't seen that before, is it the same as Simple Green? Is Simple Green enzyme? Now that I think about it I realize I don't even know how Simple Green works.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 12 2012, 03:16 PM) *

Didn't last long if its not kept heated. The enzymes die off if it gets cold. We probably have 30 of them here with ozzyjuice.
http://www.chemfree.com/compare/ozzyjuice-compare.html

I bought 10 gallons of Ozzyjuice from Napa. Not cheap, but it worked OK. My HF parts cleaner is not heated, and I haven't had a problem, but I haven't used it in several months, so I don't know if it is still any good.

For a hundy, you can't go wrong. Worst case, you turn around and resell it on ebay for a profit.
Gint
I've had honest to god solvent in my parts washer for 10 years. Smells when it's open; Doesn't smell when it's closed. And it works great.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 12 2012, 07:36 PM) *

I've had honest to god solvent in my parts washer for 10 years. Smells when it's open; Doesn't smell when it's closed. And it works great.

what kind of solvent is it gint?
Gint
Exactly? Not sure. I've only changed it once. I got the last batch at a local NAPA. It's the stuff they've used in tanks most of my life before that industry greened up.
Gint
Just remembered. The first batch I bought was from NAPA. The second time they didn't have it. I got the last batch at Hill Petroleum. Same place I have to go get Brad Penn oil local.

http://www.hillpet.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.