Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what does this do? ebay item....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
bumper bar?

what does this do?
how does it install?

anyone ever seen this before
Mueller
IMHO,besides makes the car look like cra@p, it's like a luggage rack for your bumper....

Nerf Bars are what they are called, sorta like the vintage version of modern brush gaurds you see on SUV's that never go off the road.
Aaron Cox
i agree...would make your car look like crap! anyone have these installed?
Mueller
I've seen them on only on 914 here in Fremont, both the front and rear had been bent and the original bumper is still damaged. Purely a cosmetic feature.

Now on VW bugs and 356's Nerf bars look cool if done right..the 914 NEEDS bumpers to look correct.
EdwardBlume
I thought those bars were for looking for oil leaks while your buddy's driving (Indiana Jones Style). laugh.gif
Bleyseng
We always called those things bumper overriders. Gary at Parts Obsolete had boxes of NOS ones sitting there. UGLY
They might go nicely with those mud flaps Bowlsby was showing us a while back.
Geoff
rick 918-S
AMCO was an aftermarket accessory company. Their parts line was available through the dealer. I had a AMCO console in a parts car.
JeffBowlsby
Amco Ad...
nealnorlack
The one pictured is a high speed model. Not too many of them were chromeplated. This one is very rare. wink.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Rockaria
You know, I do kinda like that console in that ad above... I like the armrest on the shift side...
Joe Bob
Yeah....high density plastic....just the thing to make the 914 look more like a Boxster,,,,, wacko.gif
Lawrence
I got rid of the storage boxes/armrests on my doors. It's amazing how much room you have once they're gone.

-Rusty
Zeke
I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to have to say something about people who have nothing better to do than take a shot against Boxsters. I own one so I have an interest here. It would suit me fine if you withheld your useless comments about the car. You try so damn hard to be sarcastic and nearly every time end up showing us your ass. If the board doesn't agree to the majority, I'll be happy to leave.
Joe Bob
Sorry Uncle Milty.... huh.gif

I LIKE Boxsters....."S" models of course.....

How about .....Plastic interior like a Cayenne????

I test drove one and the trim was falling off the inside.....
72Signal914
As I heard from a Porsche Dealer, the Boxster is nothing more than a 914 going to college and getting his doctorate degree. Basically a grown up 914 (but faster)
Zeke
I was having a bad morning and the day hasn't improved. As far as faster, I intend to find out if my 914 is indeed slower than the 2.7 in 2800+ lbs. I think not...

Re: the original topic, I believe the chrome bar was available for many cars of the era including the 911. The little cars were no match for grandma in her '73 Chrysler Imperial that had 100lb bumpers.
tryan
i saw a long hood 911 with a bar between the front bumperettes to protect the oil cooler. (a dealer/aftermarket add on.) it looked good , but not too functional.
meursault
No oil cooler up there to protect. Not on any car that used those b.s. overriders. Their effect generally, I think, was to try to raise the bumper to american car heights. I guess they were supposed to give early warning before a 14-ton 1971 Cutlass Supreme accordions your car while parallel parking?

There were some bars installed below the bumper on some AC-equipped 911s to protect the condenser.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.