Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My reincarnated project 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david alex labree
About three years ago I acquired a 1975 914 from a local who said he wanted to sell the car as he wanted to get a jetski, so, we did a trade. I had a rebuilt jetski that I rebuilt the top end from, and drove a blue 914 home, a few months ago I found that I was lucky that the frame didnt buckle on the drive home. The hell hole was shot, which was rather understandable...if only they told me, since the guy filled it in with thick amounts of fiberglass, the front and sides were bondoed, hiding the fact that it was front ended and was badly dented and welded on each side of all the quarter panels, except that of the passenger front side. The passenger rear frame along with the trail arm was shot, rusted right thru, which tells me how lucky I was to get home with it safely. So realizing the car was pretty much crapped, the floors welded together, multiple of them and badly, the rear sections welded with metal, leaving the rusty stuff on, that I was to either strip the car completely and buy new pieces of frame, in which I started to do, or to scrap the car and begin a new one, it was hard for me to do. I loved these cars since I was five and saw it in a game I loved to play, I always was passionate about Porsches, but the 914 got to me and deep, and when I came to the decision to scrap a car I once loved so much, it was painful, but a light opened up at the end of the dark tunnel, and I found a resolution. That resolution, thanks to a kind gentlemen who helped me out in getting it, and to which I owe him the success story to this beaut, is a 1972 914. I bought it as a shell, however it is in magnificent shape, some surface rust here and there, but the cars frame and hell hole and such were welded beautifully, the suspension rebuilt,and I believe I have been fortunate enough to have my 914 reincarnated into this little gem. The good side about getting the recently deceased teener was the parts I took from it, the 1.7 engine (yes its going in, the 6 cylinder swap sounds nice, but even though Im 19, I think a nice little car to cruise around is enough for me) and the interior that covered the mess is in wonderful condition. So it will be swapped into this one. I cleaned the frame up, dirt and leaves were in it, but a days cleaning helped it greatly smile.gif Click to view attachment
david alex labree
Click to view attachment
david alex labree
Click to view attachment
abnrdo
David,
What year is your donor? I see green peeking through, what color was it originally?

Sorry to hear about your car. I know its been slow getting to mine, and I hope you have wonderful progress! Keep us posted!!

-Jim

santa_smiley.gif

QUOTE(david alex labree @ Dec 12 2012, 09:03 PM) *

ThePaintedMan
welcome.png

David, welcome aboard! I noticed you're in Valrico - I'm in St. Pete but often in Tampa. There are a few other members from the Tampa Bay area on here, who will introduce themselves I'm sure. Let us know if we can help. I'd love to see the car(s) at some point.

-George
david alex labree
Jim, the donor was a 1975, I still have all the rubber bumpers and all in a storage room, this one is a 1972. The car was originally silver, the previous owner began to paint it green, but Im sticking to the original color
Thanks George! I actually looked thru your post, I see youve got a lot of welding going on, Ive got a spot welder, but Im at the burning holes stage right now. I hope to have this on the road soon, but I definitely need to rust proof the frame and get it painted, check the wiring out and install it, and of course rebuild the motor. More soon!
Gint
Looks like a nice solid tub. welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.