Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We under sell ourselves daily!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balthazar
I, for one, have chosen to "break the mold"! These cars that we love are going up in value. There are many indications that our cars are increasing in value, yet the owners and enthusiasts here on this board and others refuse to accept this FACT. Excellence magazine has valued our cars %10-15 higher than last year. Despite this, we are consistantly asking lower than we should. This makes no sense. I see $3500 for a 74' California 2.0l all original. Insanity, sheer insanity!
soloracer
Then why don't you buy it? How come it's not sold yet? Prices are only what the market will bear.
anthony
Excellence prices are very much out of whack. He's saying $5500 for a "low" condition '74 2L. I've got a second '74 2L that is better than low. Anyone want to give me $5500 for it???

IPB Image
lapuwali
Yup. Bruce's price spreads aren't nearly wide enough. Perhaps he's just not bothering with cars in the kind of shape most 914s are found in. The 914 market would probably make the scale:

low - can be driven, but you'll need to get out the welder soon
med - no rust, but needs a complete repaint and the gearbox grinds in first and second
high - recent nicely done paint, engine, and gearbox

I'd take a swag and say these numbers would be $2000, $4000, $8000

I note that the British classic rags seem to use this scale:

low - there's a car in the rusty pile somewhere
med - runs and will barely pass an MOT (annual inspection, quite rigorous)
high - nice paint, doesn't smoke (much)

But then, the British seem to think finding a doorhandle and a rusty sill constitutes a restorable car...

Given the age of the typical 914 now, I'd say there needs to be a wider scale than just three slots:

parts car - way too rusty to save, but has some bits on it worth keeping
restorable - some rust in the longs and/or hellhole, but can be saved. has some new parts on it
driver - needs paint, but runs decently. probably needs a gearbox rebuild. most people wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in this
clean - first impression is of a new car, but you can see some dings on it, underside is a bit dirty, needs a bit of maintenance done
show - concours weenies would drool. everything is perfect.
race - full cage, all comfort bits removed, various bits lightened. cops would give you bad looks from the noise.
anthony
In Excellence "low" used to be called "poor". They also used to state what each condition rating meant. It's too bad they don't use the standard 5 or 6 point scale that the rest of the car world uses.

http://www.1motormart.com/condnos.htm

My take on 2L 914s:

1) $12,000-15,000
2) $9,000 - 12,000
3) $4,000 - $9,000
4) $2,500 - $4,000
5) $1,500 - $2,500
6) $300 - $1,500

The biggest problem with this scale is that it's geared towards concours cars. A #3 condition ends up with a huge range because of a vaste variation in price of a nice driver condition car.

Anyway, what's the point of inflating values? To make your readers feel good about their purchase?
balthazar
I'm sorry Anthony, did you say my car is in low condition? I would put it in the top part of mid range. I will get $10k for this car when I'm finished. I've seen lesser cars go for more money. It is only a matter of time. When the work needed is finished, I will get 10k, mark my words! The reason I put it up for sale is cuz I need the money. I had no idea there was so much animosity towards increasing values. Hmmmm...interesting!

BTW I would buy that nice original 2.0 IF I HAD THE FRIGGIN MONEY!!!

Let the flames commence! ar15.gif
anthony
I'm sorry Anthony, did you say my car is in low condition?

No, I don't think I said anything about your car. There's no animosity towards increasing values other than the fact that it sucks that it's getting harder and harder to find a nice one. It's true that values are up on high grade cars. It still doesn't make low condition cars worth any more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.