Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix ignitor electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gunny
is there a down side to swapping out the points for the Pertronix ignitor electronic ignition?
Rand
Instant failure is the downside. So pack those points you took out just in case you have the 1 in a million failure.

Do you know how to get yourself running on the side of the road if your pertronix fails and you have the standby?

If so, don't look back. Points suck.

All that said aboot the failures.... Psh. Doesn't happen. Go digital. Reap the benefits. Laugh at the analog scoffers who still file points and clean them with dollar bills.

DISCLAIMER:
I will never put Pertronix on my old truck. It loves me and tells me when it hurts. I file its points. And clear with a dollar bill. And we roll again.

pt_700
i've heard the early ones are prone to fail if one leaves the ignition on w/o the engine running (as in listening to the radio).

as rand has said, you can't fix 'em if they fail.

i remember having to re-set the dwell every couple weeks in my father's old datsun pickup every few weeks to keep it running well. i realized years later the cam on the distributor shaft was probably either dry or scored... i installed a set in my 914 many years ago and haven't messed with them.

go ahead and install a set, keep the points / condenser in the car as a backup.
struckn
I have them in a couple cars and I feel there is a noticible improvement. Only thing I have heard is do not leave the key on when the motor is not running because the coil may fry if you're using Electronic Ignition.
jsayre914
I have always run one on my car. had one fail about 10 years ago, love it. Make sure you notch the bottom plate with a grinder before you install it. it will interfere with the vacume advance movement.

beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
You missed option 5 on the poll. Had one or more and wouldn't have another.

I've had three and they all failed. If you have them and like them, more power to you.
Points fail too . I carry an extra set in the glove box. It takes about two minutes to swap points and be back on the road. If the pertronics fail, the distributor must be removed to reinstall the condenser. I guess you could carry an extra pertronics unit, but I can carry10 sets of points for the same price as the spare pertronics.

If you like them fine, if you don't that's fine too. Personally, I enjoy setting dwell, timing,and checking all the settings and resetting everything.
Black22
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 13 2012, 01:41 PM) *

You missed option 5 on the poll. Had one or more and wouldn't have another.

I've had three and they all failed. If you have them and like them, more power to you.
Points fail too . I carry an extra set in the glove box. It takes about two minutes to swap points and be back on the road. If the pertronics fail, the distributor must be removed to reinstall the condenser. I guess you could carry an extra pertronics unit, but I can carry10 sets of points for the same price as the spare pertronics.

If you like them fine, if you don't that's fine too. Personally, I enjoy setting dwell, timing,and checking all the settings and resetting everything.

WTF.gif Pull the dizzy and replace the condenser when the Pertronix fails?

AFAIK you do not use a condenser when a Pertronix module is used...maybe that was part of your problem with those 3 units. confused24.gif

I have a Pertronix, no condenser on my dizzy!
steuspeed
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 13 2012, 01:26 PM) *

I have always run one on my car. had one fail about 10 years ago, love it. Make sure you notch the bottom plate with a grinder before you install it. it will interfere with the vacume advance movement.

beerchug.gif

Interesting. I wonder if that's why I get a little studder when I'm really on the gas. PO installed the Pertronix on my car. Is it obvious what need to be ground off?
jsayre914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Dec 13 2012, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 13 2012, 01:26 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Interesting. I wonder if that's why I get a little studder when I'm really on the gas. PO installed the Pertronix on my car. Is it obvious what need to be ground off?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ertronix++plate

shades.gif
euro911
He said remove the dizzy to reinstall the condenser.

I carry a spare set of points and condenser. If I can find another decent Bosch VJR4-BR8 dizzy for a good price, I'd have it ready with points gapped and condenser installed, ready to swap out if needed.

Connect your radio/stereo to the fuse block or directly to the battery (with a fuse), bypassing the ignition switch altogether idea.gif

... just don't forget to turn it off ...
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, reinstall. Not replace. If I carry points for when my pertronics fails, I will need a
condensor too.

Nice read, Euro
Black22
Maybe I'm just a nimble mechanic with elf like hands, but I have never had to remove my dizzy to attach the condenser. I've done this multiple times by the way.

Sorry for the mis-read. Thanks Mark!
aircooledtechguy
I must be the exception to the rule, 'cuz I have been running either Pertronix or Compufire (my favorite) for over 20+ years on my own cars and countless clients cars and have yet to have a failure personally. The ONLY time I have seen them fail is by getting the wires crossed and turning on the ignition or in the case of Pertronix units, having the wires get rubbed through by making contact with the magnetic stator (see my warning page and easy fix here).

I guess I like to live dangerously; I don't worry about having a spare anything when I drive. I've found that religious preventive maintenance is the best insurance against breakdowns.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(gunny @ Dec 13 2012, 12:52 PM) *

is there a down side to swapping out the points for the Pertronix ignitor electronic ignition?

I have a crane 700 installed. The second engine that I've had with it and they are pretty flawless. You just have to make sure you twist tie the wiring out of the way correctly or it may chew through it. Cranes are optical. You can still purchase from summit racing.
Michelj13
I ran with Pertronix for 17 years in my 912 with never a failure. I also used MSD multispark and did not see much difference with that.
gms
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:43 PM) *

I carry a spare set of points and condenser. If I can find another decent Bosch VJR4-BR8 dizzy for a good price, I'd have it ready with points gapped and condenser installed, ready to swap out if needed.

agree.gif
I carry a spare distributor with points and condenser installed, just get the engine to TDC then swap dizzy and drive home to re-time.
76-914
10+ yr's in my K Ghia and 3 yr's in my '76. 6 month's in my '73 because I can't tell the difference between + & -. chair.gif slap.gif Bought another set at the G&R meet for $50 and I'm just waiting for the points to go south before I swap out again. And yes, I did notice a small improvement in all 3 vehicles after installing. Maybe I imagined that but that's my perception. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:45 PM) *

Maybe I'm just a nimble mechanic with elf like hands, but I have never had to remove my dizzy to attach the condenser. I've done this multiple times by the way.

biggrin.gif Thats straight to the point being made by the PRO camp. Set & forget. beer.gif
Black22
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 14 2012, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Dec 13 2012, 05:45 PM) *

biggrin.gif Thats straight to the point being made by the PRO camp. Set & forget. beer.gif

I voted PRO too. I've just changed out to points when trying to suss out other issues and rule out my module.
Drums66
..I'm with all the positive installer's above..10+yrs on 1 set!
The reliability is in the hand's of the installer. idea.gif
bye1.gif
Al Meredith
I have two cars with trotronix. I always cary a spare 009 with the timing preset so I can drop in if needed. Never been nessary
mtndawg
I'm bumping this because I'm thinking about going with electronic ignition...probably pertronix.
Spoke
Pertronix is a good economical way to replace points with electronic switching.

Had them on 2 cars without fail.

Nice part is they drop right in with no or minimal fitment issues.

I do carry spare points and condenser.
reharvey
I have Pertronix installed on four of my cars without any problems.
JamesM
I have always found they improve things, even more so if your dizzy is worn. The only downside to the pertroinix that i can think of is that it costs 2x as much as the hotspark which is basically the same thing.

I have had a crane optical pickup fail

Never had a petronix fail in 12 years

Have a hotspark waiting to be installed in one of my other cars, have not ran it yet.
kkid
don't know about the petronics but have had a hot spark and just found out last week that was failed for a while. It gave me weak sparks thus very bad gas mileage and terrible drive abilities. Almost forgot how to time since it's been 4 years. Hot spark came with 3 yrs warranty. damn!
Chris H.
I've had a Pertronix in my 1.8 for 10 years. Really smoothed out the idle. The only down side has already been stated...it is electronic and can fail. A spare is cheap insurance for long trips.

Always heard not to leave the key in the "ON" position or it will burn the Pertronix, but I have left mine one accidentally OVERNIGHT and it was fine. Was probably just lucky that the current didn't spike at all because they are susceptible to "releasing the magic smoke".
scott_in_nh
I installed the Hot-Spark setup 12,000 miles ago and haven't touched my distributor since.

FWIW you shouldn't leave the key on with points either, so my radio is wired so that it always has power - there is no need to leave the key on to listen to music.

I have not seen anybody complain of this unit failing and it is substantially less expensive.
Dasnowman
Hi guys I'm sort of a noobie to this what is the Pertronix are you guys running (part #) and are you using there coil with it I think they make a flamethrower model?

I have a 71 1.7L with a djet I hopefully going to find all the parts for.
euro911
Marlon, check their web site to determine which unit you need, it's dependent on the dizzy you're running
Johny Blackstain
I run the Pertronix in my LE & have had no issues w/ it, however I did research 1st & found that most people who complained of failures did not match the coil to the Pertronix, as per the instructions. So I also got a matching coil for it & installed both @ the same time & have had no issues whatsoever.
Drums66
[quote name='pt_700' date='Dec 13 2012, 01:16 PM' post='1783359']
i've heard the early ones are prone to fail if one leaves the ignition on w/o the engine running (as in listening to the radio).

.....I started using them(pertronix) back in the 90's when this was true!...I think
they've worked out that bug, in the new set's? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

euro911
It's a good idea to power your radio/stereo system from a fuse-protected connection directly at the battery anyway. Just remember to turn it off when you leave the car.
Wyvern
Digging up an older thread ... thats what happens when you search ..

I am going to go Pertronix II and coil.
'73 1.7 stock dizzy
I have found multiple sites with different part #s

I have found 91847V (this is on their site)
& 91847A (on multiple vendor sites)

Any help with the actual part # needed ?
Wyvern
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jul 31 2018, 07:20 PM) *

Digging up an older thread ... thats what happens when you search ..

I am going to go Pertronix II and coil.
'73 1.7 stock dizzy
I have found multiple sites with different part #s

I have found 91847V (this is on their site)
& 91847A (on multiple vendor sites)

Any help with the actual part # needed ?

Answered my own question by searching just a bit more
Info here to help others

1847V for vaccuum.
1847A for non-vacuum.

So "V" it is
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.