Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Good MIG welders visor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
i am looking for a good MIG welders visor for my Dad. He has a Hobart MIG welder, and a standard visor. I'd like to get one of the new fangled automatic darkening ones.

Does anyone have some recommendations, and expected prices to pay? Comment on how you like yours, or what would be better? Primary welding aplications is steel, usally sheet metal, or thin wall pipes if that matters in the selection of the lense darkness.

Any suggestions???

dave
914GT
I bought one of those Harbor Freight specials, an auto-darkening helmet for about $80. It's ok but nothing to brag about. Sometimes the arc will 'flare' and the visor doesn't block it, leaving a momentary spot in your vision (like looking at a light bulb for too long). But normally if the current and feed rate are right this doesn't happen. Also, I need a magnifier lens sometime and the visor has no provision to insert one. Next one I buy I'll spend the bucks at a welding shop for a professional quality one, or maybe one of those kind you flip the visor down with your chin.
type11969
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000183.htm

I just bought this one, haven't received it yet so I can't comment on how well it works. Assuming they aren't lying about the specs, it does have the fastest switch speed of any other auto darkening helmets that I have found, and I know that Jackson is known for making good helmets.

I paid 140 for it, pretty reasonable I think.

-Chris
Jeroen
bought an autodarkning helmet a couple of months ago for €90
Recently, I've seen 'em as low as €60

Mine has a control knob to set the shade. I like it
seanery
This is what I have: Miller XLix
IPB Image

They have a newer one with a wider viewport. It would have been my choice, but it wasn't available when I got mine.
IPB Image

I really like my helmet by the way welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.