Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any Navy Seals out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I was just wondering if there are any Navy Seals in our club. I am watching a biography on Navy Seal training. The stuff they have to go through and the drop rate. Are any of you Navy Seals???

I just want to offer my respect.
scotty914
almost, got booted for a hystoplasmosis ( spelling ?) infection in my rt lung that blocks the airflow in and out by up to 50 %. heres the sad part now that i smoke and dont work out i am in ok shape. but i just started again ( age 33 ) i was able to do a 20 min version of the 45 min work out i used to and 4 days later i still hurt.
Red-Beard
Sean V8 in San Diego was/is a Seal.
Brad Roberts
A good friend of mine just finished a coffee table style book on Navy Seals (he is a book/photo editor) I learned all kinds of scary things about Seals while his photographer followed these guys for over a year documenting everything they do during training.

B
Joe Ricard
They aren't SEALS till after training.
I drove Boats for those guys for a few years. Pretty cool shit. Takes a stronger mind than Body.

My boat had two diesel engines making 450 HP each. and over 1000 ft lbs of torque. EACH.
Bleyseng
I worked with a guy for 4 years who was a Navy seal in Vietnam. Did all those crazy missions we can only dream about or are books. He has his lungs flushed out twice a year due to some Southeast Asia bug he inhaled with the water on those missions. He is slowly choking to death from it but the government won't pay nor give him disability. nice.

Geoff
tod914
Had a couple of squids in my Scout plt/mech inf. unit. One guy was a diver, the other was a Seal. Did some cross training with them at Ft. Picket, and went through a few service schools with some former seals. Pretty brutal training they go through.
Qarl
IPB Image
tdgray
Qarl... Pic no worky biggrin.gif
phantom914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 7 2004, 04:42 PM)

My boat had two diesel engines making 450 HP each. and over 1000 ft lbs of torque. EACH.

Sorry, but you will not be able to stay with the 901 when you convert the 914 to one of those engines.

Andrew
MarkG
My cousin was a SEAL in Viet Nam; after his discharge he visited our family in the Bay Area. He was deciding on a career, so I had him come work a patrol shift with me on a hot Saturday night (I worked for a large city in the south bay at the time). We saw plenty of action, accidents, fights, drunk driver arrest, stabbing etc.

He said it too boring, and re-enlisted!!

I currently work with an ex-SEAL/retired LAPD. Killed 3 people while working with LAPD. Talks about it like trophy hunters talk about their latest score.
Steve Thacker
Mark,
If any person talks with boastfullness in the loss of a life they caused. That person has mental issues or is a liar. For one, why would a normal person talk about lives they have taken? That is the product of a sick mind. Nothing against you buddy.
skline
Mark didnt say it was his buddy, just a guy he works with. Why would you want friends that kill people and talk about it?
Joe Bob
"Any of youse homos touch my stuff....I'll kill ya....."

"Lighten up, Francis" Sgt. Hulka.....
Mueller
Why would you want friends that kill people and talk about it?
..if in was in self defense or the line of duty (and justified), what's the big deal? I guess it depends on how often or when he decides to bring up the conversation...not a good way to pick up chicks I would think..then again, who knows, I'm sure it works on some wacko.gif
Bruce Allert
A friend who died a few years ago of stomach cancer at the young age of 36 was a SEAL. He raced a Wide Body all wheel drive Porsche at Portland International Raceway every year. Skip Harlan was a good guy from Seattle area. Lived fast, hard & had fun.........
I miss ya Buddy wavey.gif

..........b
Joe Ricard
I always get a kick out of the guy that tell you they were a SEAL/ Ranger/or special forces something.
A few pointed questions and the gig is up.

I have found that the Real deal is hard to spot and stay within thier group of friends. Normally never tell you what they do in the Navy other than thier source rating (cook, Radioman, Gunners Mate etc.) Piss one off and you could be in a world of hurt before you know what happened.
carreraguy
I was stationed at Naval Amphibious Base Coronado towards the end of my career; it is the home base of the West Coast SEALs. I never knew any SEALs personally, but I can say for sure they did not like any sort of publicity and kept a very low profile. You would always see them running on the beach and carrying around huge logs on their shoulders just for the "fun" of it (actually part of their training). I distinctly remember seeing one of their staff officers occasionally walking out to a chin-up bar outside his office (in uniform) and routinely throwing down 50 full chin-ups; I figured he was doing it to work off frustration from work! About a year or so ago the Discover channel did a three or four part series on SEAL training; I am sure you can get copies of the broadcast from them.
Joe Ricard
Those guys running with logs are students. BUD/S and they don't become SEALS for a long while. Even after they graduate BUD/S training they still have several schools to attend and probation period with the assigned team.

Screening is tough training is tougher proving to your peers you can be trusted with your thier lives is brutal.
tod914
About a year or so ago the Discover channel did a three or four part series on SEAL training

That was very well done.
scotty914
there are a few questions that you can ask to blow holes ( sorry bad pun ) in almost anyone who says they where a seal. and alot of those topics are purposely left out of the public info for that reason. also there is a group of seals who run a list that can confirm a name but thats about all. now i can prove i tried to become a seal and was medically disqualifed for obstructions in my lungs due to infection with my medical file, but i never made it through buds due to my disqualifcation and therfore i am not on the list.

two questions that almost always work is asking about drown proofing and sand rash, i can explain either one to somebody if they like but i will do it off list.
Elliot_Cannon
A number of years ago, I did a little sky diving. I had the honor of jumping with two of the Navy Leapfrogs Team. Both of them Seals. What struck me was their appearance and attitude. They both were down to earth types. Very quiet in their speech and body language.. They also were very slight of build and one was an Icabod Crane looking dude. When I told them I was sorry they just didn't fit my picture of what a Seal was like, one of them said that the Rambo type looking guys were the first ones to drop out of training. I also met one at Kadena Air Base in 1969. Same type of guy, he was rotating home after a year in country and had a really wierd look in his eye and talked really slow. You know. The type of guy you would want by your side when the s**t hits the fan. I'm glad they're on our side.
Cheers, Elliot
Thorshammer
Let me first say,I am not a SEAL, however my last 3 years in the Navy I did SEAL team insertion and extraction from the aircraft I was a flight engineer.

Joe R is very right, and no wonder one has'nt responded. The guys I knew were very quite. They mostly stayed in their group, the only time you got "let in" is if you risked life and limb to assist the team. I have met many supposed SEALS and the odds that they worked on an actual team and performed ops is very unlikely. Many times it's a UDT diver that wanted to become a seal, but could'nt get passed the Psych stuff, not the right temperament.
BUDS is the first step, but after that, the training really sorts out the proper canidates. What you see on the Discovery channel is just the tip of the iceberg.

Many of the guys you would never know were seals. They just look like guys in really good endurance type shape. Never like Charlie Sheens Character in NAVY SEALS. Never would you SEE them out of control acting up, talking crap, just did'nt happen. "Run silent run deep, run deadly." This huge guy stereotype was not the norm. Shooting M60 with one hand, for the movies only, and BTW not the weapon of choice, although it does get used. Only real experience in civilian combat was with a guy named Rico.

We were going into a chinese place and four guys came out as we were going in. One guy tells Rico to get the F___ out of his way, Rico said something about respect and by the time I knew what was happening Rico had one guy on his knees and crying like a little beotch. All the rest just backed up. After we got our take out they were still in the parking lot. But did'nt say a word when we left. They got the point quickly

I have never had a team member discuss a mission unless it was coordinates for insertion or the like. But actual details, no way no how. And It's not a security clearance thing, cause I had that, it simply a need to know. And I did'nt.

Some people think we should'nt have covert ops, but I can tell you from personal experience that Americans have been saved countless times by these actions. I thank God, those men are there to do that job.

Erik Madsen
Jenny
Wow. I am completely intrigued. Anyone have a good lead on that discovery channel special? What was it called?

Jen
Bruce Allert
I saw that Special too... Makes boot camp look like "this one time at band camp" pray.gif

.........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.