Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72, 914/4 clutch arm vobbling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
When working with getting rid of vibrations from the engine (which succeded when I put back my old engine rubber mounts instead of the new 911 ones) I noticed that the clutch arm is wobbling a bit (approx 1mm in its outer end) when cranking the engine, is this normal?
Through inspection holes I can see flywheel and clutch running straight non wobbling at cranking.
The car is all original tail shift 1,7.

/Lars
SirAndy
QUOTE(larss @ Dec 14 2012, 03:18 AM) *
When working with getting rid of vibrations from the engine (which succeded when I put back my old engine rubber mounts instead of the new 911 ones) I noticed that the clutch arm is wobbling a bit (approx 1mm in its outer end) when cranking the engine, is this normal?

There is a plastic bushing on the arm where it sits on the pivot that is bolted to the case.

My guess is your bushing has disintegrated allowing the arm to wobble.
idea.gif
larss
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2012, 07:12 PM) *

There is a plastic bushing on the arm where it sits on the pivot that is bolted to the case.

My guess is your bushing has disintegrated allowing the arm to wobble.
idea.gif

Thanks!
Just checked the cup bushing before I put the engine/trans together yesterday, it is quiet new and was OK.
Guess the wobble comes from that the clutch feather spring surface which the release bearing rest against is wobbling a bit, due to the clutch release arms length the wobbling is amplified to reach about 1mm at the arms end.
No wobbling can be felt at the pedal however.
Dont know how many of us have checked the (released) arm when cranking (I disconnect the ignition coil so I can crank without engine starting), any input is appriciated!

/Lars S
Cap'n Krusty
I think you're worrying about something that just isn't very important. It's one of those things amateurs are concerned about and professionals don't even notice.

The Cap'n
McMark
What you're probably feeling is the 'slop' between the throwout bearing and the sleeve. Normal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.