Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laguna SOund
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
richardL
I just received an informational email from Trackmasters.

There is news that a coalition of 7 homeowners near Laguna Seca ('The Highway 68 Coalition') is pushing to reduce the allowable sound level to 90db! This would make it pretty difficult for even slightly modified cars to pass (and screws up the bikes completely).

There are steps underway to push back against this madness.
Randal
QUOTE(richardL @ Dec 14 2012, 01:45 PM) *

I just received an informational email from Trackmasters.

There is news that a coalition of 7 homeowners near Laguna Seca ('The Highway 68 Coalition') is pushing to reduce the allowable sound level to 90db! This would make it pretty difficult for even slightly modified cars to pass (and screws up the bikes completely).

There are steps underway to push back against this madness.

Go run Laguna now as it won't be long before the PC crowd get's it shut down.
Trekkor
I never have understood how people didn't know they would be able to hear noises living near a racetrack or airport.

Then they try to shut them down...

KT
DanT
There have been 90db days at Laguna for years...they are probably trying to increase the number of 90db days and decrease the 92 and over days.

Remember, this is an internationally known track, and it brings tons of cash into the county and the surrounding municipalities. A few home owners are going to have a tough time shutting this down.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 14 2012, 02:43 PM) *
I never have understood how people didn't know they would be able to hear noises living near a racetrack or airport.

agree.gif
ww914
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 14 2012, 04:28 PM) *

There have been 90db days at Laguna for years...they are probably trying to increase the number of 90db days and decrease the 92 and over days.

Remember, this is an internationally known track, and it brings tons of cash into the county and the surrounding municipalities. A few home owners are going to have a tough time shutting this down.

The problem with the track vs. airport analogy is that the airports have a much bigger lobby (AOPA). Folks just don't think about the noise when they buy and most certainly the housing developers don't give a damn. The other thing is why would the county let people develop so close to the track? I guess it's about the almighty dollar. They say, let's just get the dollars now and worry about the track noise later.
Randal

The PC crowd will chip away and chip away at the sound deal and Laguna Management will have to give.

Unfortunately "business" in California are targets and the State doesn't seem to care even if they leave. Sad really as California used to be the 3rd largest business entity in the world. Last time I looked it was 8th or 9th and still planning projects to no where with no funds to cover....

Meanwhile the Smart States are pro-business and getting all the spoils.
DanT
Laguna is a Monterey County Park...it is government.
And the homes near Laguna are all huge custom homes.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2012, 07:50 PM) *

agree.gif

+1
stownsen914
Lime Rock ran with a 90 db limit (measured at 50 ft from the side of the track) for years, and a couple years ago lowered it to 86 db on some days and 88 db on others. Pretty painful, but people have managed to adapt.

As for the townees closing the track ... it sounds unlikely for a track like Laguna. On the east coast we used to have Bridgehampton Raceway before the locals lobbied to have it closed. Unfortunately for us, the track had gone into decline in terms of both condition and use, with no major races for years. And this while Bridgehampton the town grew from a farm community into a beach community with $ million-plus homes. The result was predictable - the track lost the battle and closed in the late 90s sad.gif

The track is a golf course now. On Google maps you can still see the outline of the track. It's hard to imagine that happening anytime soon to Lime Rock or Laguna.

Scott
Trekkor
http://www.september8th.com/news_bridge1.htm

Interesting story.

KT
damesandhotrods

KT

It’s not just the noise, these people are to wealthy to deal with traffic a couple of weekends a year. The noise is just how they are a attacking the track…
stewteral

KT

Hey Trekkor,

Unfortunately, there is a long history of exactly what you describe: Riverside Raceway used to be out in the middle of NO WHERE, then home built up all around it and THEN they complained. Adios Riverside.

There is also a dB limit at Infineon Raceway which is purely ridiculous as there are NO homes anywhere around....but there a few birds in the tidal pools.

My fear is that the next push will be for SMOG CONTROLS required on race cars.
This IS California where legislative STUPIDITY reigns supreme.

IMHO,

Terry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.