Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many turns on a lug not for saftey?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Ok...I've got the silver 914 with the boxster rims. For a short time (so I could drive it some)...I put the 6" wheels in the back and the 7" wheels in the front (I'm running 205 50 16"'s. Backspacing worked great this way. This weekend I went to work on getting the 6" rims in the front and the 7" rims in the back. Rears fit perfect and the fronts, as expected..sit in some. I put some 7mm spacers on the front to pull them out alittle. Now I only get 6 full turns on the lug nuts from first thread catch to full torque down at 97 ft/lbs. Is this too few turns to be safe?

My alternatives are...add longer wheel studs or get two 7" rims to match the rears (7X16" boxster rears with the 40mm offset fit perfect front and rear). I do have a line on 2 7" rims so that isn't a problem.

Thoughts?
davep
The rule of thumb is to get an engagement depth equal to the thread diameter. I'd guess you are a little shy.
Katmanken
I'm goin through this trying to put Mercedes alloys on my Vanagon.

They say ya need 7 to 7.5 full turns so yes, you are a little shy.

However, found this place with lotsa longer 14mm x1.50 ball seat lug nuts. I think the alloy teener bolts have a 38mm long shank if my memory serves. Tried them and they were still too short. You might try 40''s or 43's/

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/ca...php/CA=47/PA=10

Ken
Joe Bob
Longer studs are an easy solution.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Nov 7 2004, 03:57 PM)
Is this too few turns to be safe?

i wouldn't run it.
get a set of 70mm studs. they're easy to come by and fairly cheap.

that'll give you plenty of thread ...
cool.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
PCA Rules say 14mm needs to be threaded (they actually say, as mentioned earlier, depth = width of stud, which is 14mm)

I put 7mm spacers on the back of the RS Clone and I restudded. It's funny, it's only about 1/4" but...
J P Stein
IIRC, 9 turns is what you want. I restudded.
jim912928
I figured 6 was light...thanks all!
Joe Bob
Use an open head lug nut as a guide. If you catch all the threads on that....yer golden. biggrin.gif
jim912928
Mike...just ran out and did that...stud makes it through the rounded portion of the nut but stops at the boxed end of the nut...so, only about half way.....so, that answers that for me!

Thanks
Joe Bob
Sounds like ya need longer studs then,,,,easy....remove the ebrake assembly and pound them out. Install the new ones and use a spacer, open headed nut and air tool. Last few turns will more than likely require a breaker bar and muscle.... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.