Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the best way to remove and re-glue targa headliner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
What is the best way to remove (without damaging to reuse) the targa headliner and then re-attach/re-glue it back? Note: I am in Florida, so I do not want to use and adhesive that will "melt" off and cause sagging (for those of you with VW cloth inlets in your door panels, you know what I'm referring to, when the cloth becomes unglued from foam over time due to heat).

GeorgeRud
I would simply tear it off, then use some 3M adhesive remover to clean any remnants off the top. A replacement piece is available and very inexpensive, so why reuse the original one?

As there is no foam backing on this piece, any good upholstery adhesive should work if you use it correctly. I believe that 3M also makes a heavy duty adhesive for carpets that should easily keep this in place.
'73-914kid
I just went through he same thing..tried to remove it cleanly to reuse, but when i saw how cheap they were from ebay (I forget the name but can find it if interested) i just bought one from them. Fits perfect, and looks great.

Oh, i went through a douple of different spray adhesives to find which one would work best..i tried spray 77, and spray 45, and both of them ended up sagging on a hot day. Went to the FLAPS and bought real headliner adhesive. Its stayed up there on some really really hot days without issue.
turk22
Here's what I did:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=195770&hl=
euro911
Removed old material, scrubbed with a Scotch-Brite pad, cut and installed a BBQ mat with 3M spray adhesive

BBQ mat was $10. from Lowe's or Homie Depot

Click to view attachment
rjames
Another vote for the 3m stuff. Works great and has held my headliner in for ~6 years.
tumamilhem
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 17 2012, 12:59 PM) *

I just went through he same thing..tried to remove it cleanly to reuse, but when i saw how cheap they were from ebay (I forget the name but can find it if interested) i just bought one from them. Fits perfect, and looks great.

Oh, i went through a douple of different spray adhesives to find which one would work best..i tried spray 77, and spray 45, and both of them ended up sagging on a hot day. Went to the FLAPS and bought real headliner adhesive. Its stayed up there on some really really hot days without issue.

where can i find this "flaps" adhesive? pelican parts has this wurth spray adhesive. have you guys tried that and is it just as good as 3m adhesive you used? if not, which 3m adhesive should i get (there are many). thanks!
wurth spray adhesive on PP: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...z.%2C%20Each%2C

was thinking of getting headliner from pelican parts. anybody got one of those? do they look oem at least?
7TPorsh
flaps means Friendly Neighborhood Auto Parts Store...I use 3M Superr 77 for everything.

The trick is don't overspray and soak it, spray both surfaces lightly and let dry halfway...then stick them together and hold...don't get it on your fingers then you'll start spreading it where you don't want it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.