Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best way to remove a rear view mirror without causing damage to the mirror or windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
What is the best way to remove a glued-on rear view mirror from the windshield without damaging the windshield?
ConeDodger
It isn't glued on. It has an adhesive patch that fits to the back of the mirror base and gets stuck to the windshield. Use a very sharp razor blade to remove it.

sawzall-smiley.gif Or a Sawzall if you're going to replace the windshield biggrin.gif
nathansnathan
I have used penetrating oil, but the windshield wasn't attached.

I can't say for certain if that helped but I couldn't get it off before trying that. I have heard of them separating the glass with the forced required to remove them.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 17 2012, 10:38 AM) *

It isn't glued on. It has an adhesive patch that fits to the back of the mirror base and gets stuck to the windshield. Use a very sharp razor blade to remove it.

sawzall-smiley.gif Or a Sawzall if you're going to replace the windshield biggrin.gif

Well, it's not an OEM rear view mirror and it's really hazy from behind so it's not easy to see out of. So I want to remove it and put an OEM one on. I have one on my other car if I can't find one, but I'll need to find out how to remove that one.

This windshield is new, so I don't want to damage it.
ConeDodger
See that's relevant information. Who knows how a non-stock RVM was put on? huh.gif

Well, all I can say is heat activates adhesive then use the very sharp razor method. Not too much heat and not too concentrated. Just get the window nice and warm and try and force the razor blade behind it. Adhesive remover to remove the goo on the window when you're done.
7TPorsh
Heat up the glass with a hair dryer and wiggle it off
DBCooper
+1 Don't burn it, you can delaminate the glass, just get it pretty hot. I have a single sided razor scraper that I use to go around while it's hot. Pops them right off, then the razor to clean up the residual glue.
tumamilhem
Once I have the mirror off, how can I remove the residue to get a good clean surface and where do I get this adhesive strip to re-attach? Thanks for your input, guys! smile.gif
KELTY360
Have you ever wondered why it's called a rear view mirror. I mean, what else would you view with a mirror...a front view? confused24.gif

Oh yeah, you can clean up the adhesive residue with some lighter fluid, or mineral spirits.
tumamilhem
Where can I find this adhesive pad to re-attach? I remermber ther e used to be a clear glue you would use and have to press and hold mirror in place for several minutes. It never really lasted that long. Someone mentioned an adhesive pad? What's the best and strongest way to re-attach?
bluhun
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 20 2012, 11:34 PM) *

Where can I find this adhesive pad to re-attach? I remermber ther e used to be a clear glue you would use and have to press and hold mirror in place for several minutes. It never really lasted that long. Someone mentioned an adhesive pad? What's the best and strongest way to re-attach?

The adhesive mirror pad can be obtained from the dealer or Pelican Parts
($3.25 ea). I also assume that Automobile Atlanta has them.
JawjaPorsche
I just put in a new windshield and I had problems with the original mirror staying on the original windshield. The new windshield was so purdy I didn't want to mess it up so I bought a Porsche 914 interior rear view mirror BMW conversion on Ebay. Screws into your sun visor holes and takes it place.
tumamilhem
Oh nice! Was that specially made or is it something I can order?

I assume since that's attached to the underside of the top of the windshield trim, it sits a bit higher that original placement for original? How is your view? Is it too high to where the roll bar is obstructing your view?
JawjaPorsche
It is a little higher than normal but no problems. The vendor makes these and sells on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-interi...mp;cmd=ViewItem

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 21 2012, 10:21 AM) *

Oh nice! Was that specially made or is it something I can order?

I assume since that's attached to the underside of the top of the windshield trim, it sits a bit higher that original placement for original? How is your view? Is it too high to where the roll bar is obstructing your view?

7TPorsh
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 21 2012, 03:45 AM) *

I just put in a new windshield and I had problems with the original mirror staying on the original windshield. The new windshield was so purdy I didn't want to mess it up so I bought a Porsche 914 interior rear view mirror BMW conversion on Ebay. Screws into your sun visor holes and takes it place.

I did this too...highly recommend...clean look from outside the car.
Madswede
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 21 2012, 05:45 AM) *

I'm glad I found this (search function is your friend ... once you get used to using it poke.gif ) Thanks for posting about it!

I'm definitely going to try this. I'm tall enough where the sun visors were rarely used and actually got in my line of sight about as often as they were needed, and I live in the high desert of New Mexico where we get rain about 10 days per year, or so it seems. So I'm going to buy this, install it, and try it out. sunglasses.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 17 2012, 08:38 AM) *

.....S&W, target practice 1st idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif(make sure nobody's sitting inside..LOL)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.