Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six is making a chirping sound...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I have a webber carbed 2.2. It is making a strange chirping sound under load/exceleration. (not a valve clatter noise) At first I thought it might be the dist. I oiled it and even swapped it out. Then maybe the belt, but why would a belt only make noise under load. Obviously, it is hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from because it is hard to get your head in the engine bay while under exceleration.

Any idea?

Any Six gurus in Santa Clarita, want to come over for a drive?

Puzzled,
Mike D.
brp914
'Course! every neighborhood has a -6 guru! But as it turns out, I am in Canyon Country. I haven't seen another 6 in ages, although I did see one of those new $400+ K GT's on the 405 a couple weeks ago. Anyway, its your alt belt. Spray on a little WD and see if it doesn't go away (temporarily). Get yourself a new belt. Spin that alt while the belt is off to make sure bearings arent bad. Maybe need to transfer shim from inner to outer. Not too loose - not too tight - just right.

You think you got problems, I gotta rename mine the Valdez. New motor in the works though. aktion035.gif
Brad Roberts
Manifold to carb gaskets. Dells do it... Webers do it also.

Might be the alt belt... but I have heard sixes make the carb "chirp" also.

B
DJsRepS
could be an intake leak, exaust at the head, or worse a compression leak eg head gasket hope you find it!
IronHillRestorations
It could be pinging. Check your timing and make sure it's dead on the nuts. Also make sure that your plug wires are correctly installed on the distributor.
Joe Bob
What size six? I had a 3.0 in one and it sounded like a bike with a playing card in the spokes....ended up being a couple of broken head studs....
Eric_Shea
Alternator. My 911 would do it in cold weather starts under load.

(my advice could be a load as well...) blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.