Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory fog light grills - metal or plastic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
I'm in the process of changing from fiberglass bumpers to chrome. The factory OEM fog light grills that I've seen on line - are these polished aluminum, chrome-plated plastic, or ...? And, what do you recommend that I get?
914Sixer
Chrome plated plastic. On a rare occasion you might find a very early one made out of pot metal.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 17 2012, 05:42 PM) *

Chrome plated plastic. On a rare occasion you might find a very early one made out of pot metal.

agree.gif

It was both - metal = early (+/- 70-71 MY IIRC) & plastic = late

Porsche still sells OEM plastic ones in ready-to-be-painted or chrome & pricey, & Mikey914/Mark W./914Rubber sells repro ones for less than that.

NOS or excl used pot metal ones will be like hen's teeth to find!

p914.com may list the exact point at which they changed over to plastic for weight & cost savings, as well as more weather/corrosion resistance.
andys
I'm going to try painting my plastic ones with chrome paint and see how they come out. Since the existing chrome plating is nearly all peeled off, I'm thinking about sanding to a real fine finish before paint.

The model toy guys told me they strip vacuum plated chrome using one of two things. 1.) bleach, or 2.) Easy-Off. Bleach is apparently faster when immersed. With Easy-Off, they spray thoroughly, then place in a Zip-Lok bag. They did advise me to test a small area first, regardless. Anyone have any experience with this?

Andys
Mikey914
These are not easy to strip. Unfortunatley, even good paint isn't going to look right against a chome bumper. I do have another run of these comming up, and may have a set of second that aren't perfect, but will look better than the painted ones.
Drop me a PM if your interested.
tod914
Available new from Porsche if your resto doesn't meet your expectations. Rougly $100 each depending upon who you get them from.
underthetire
I tried sandblasting the chrome off some old ones. These are not like toy models, that stuff does not come off easy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2012, 08:57 AM) *
It was both - metal = early (+/- 70-71 MY IIRC) & plastic = late

Not quite. The metal ones are only found on *really* early production cars and some of the prototype cars.

Most certainly *not* throughout all of MY '70 or into '71.

popcorn[1].gif
euro911
My wife's was manufactured in Jan of '71 and they're plated plastic. This was a one owner car, delivered in Germany, then imported into the US.
john_g
Guess I'll look for plastic then. Thanks, guys.
Mikey914
Got some I just sent out for finishing, won't have back until mid Jan, but the price is right.
-Mark
brant
I've painted used chrome ones for years..
In fact on the race car I repaint my front bumper/valance/grills 2x each season (due to rock chips)

its a pain in the butt to hand sand these
but not rocket science.
it takes an hour or so to do a good job
I fold a piece of sand paper up about 3 folds so it is rigid and then sand agressively between each bar of the grill

it works
brant
brant
found some pictures in my vintage race car build thread:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.