Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a car - kind of embarassed - but still excited...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I was chasing an ERA GT 40 Replica. I really fell in love and got everything in place to pull the deal together. Thank God I did some research and did not just jump right in. The particular car that caught my eye was SIGNIFICANTLY over priced. I went back and forth with the guy for 2-3 months, provided him several examples of similar cars selling prices, yada yada yada. Like many of us know after pumping zillions into a 914, that does not make the car worth what you put in. I dont think he could grasp that concept. Oh well.

I started looking for another one in the states without much luck (I specifically want the mirage/wide bodied lemans car).

Well, car guys are car guys and in my looking around I stumbled on this car. It reminded me of the 914, in that is started out as a plain-jane mid year, but then was significantly upgraded/modified. The current owner has had the car less than 2 years. The previous owner had it for over 20 years and did all of the stuff to it. It is extremely clean top and bottom.

NOTE: I will throw out the same disclaimer I sent to the Colorado group - I loved the 80's (what I remember of them.... aktion035.gif ) . Please rember that when looking at the pics - ha!

Hopefully having this will not get my shunned by the 914 group. I will happily throw a 912E badge on the back if neccessary!

I plan on swapping out the headlights for the euro stuff, and will most likely find a new decklid so I can lose the tail (not really my thing). Oh, and what is the deal with these car stereo companies? What is wrong with making speakers and deck units that are simply BLACK. Sheeesh.
billh1963
I think it's awesome! I've been looking at SC's .....
DBCooper
We insist... 912E badge on the back.
tod914
How about 912S. Nice looking car Scotty.
Scott S
I know it has kind of that 80's drug dealer/mid-life crisis look. But I am okay with that!! biggrin.gif

The body only has 98k on it. The motor was pulled from a 50k car. It had really good leak down numbers.

With as little time as I have to "play cars", I am hoping it will last me a long time. I had my 914 for 20+ years. That is the plan for this car too - unless a really nice 914-6GT replica happens to pop up that I can afford.....
AZ914
Looks great!!
Rockaria
I have a feeling there are more of us than we will admit. The 80s 911 rocked!

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
There's no shame in buying a donor car. shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 18 2012, 09:18 AM) *
I ... will most likely find a new decklid so I can lose the tail

Nooooooo ... I have always liked that big ass spoiler in the back.
popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Welcome to the Dark Side! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

ConeDodger
I'm confused. What year is it? It has a Carrera stripe from the 1970's, a Carrera emblem from the '84 - '89, a 3.2 motor, but no integrated driving lights in the front. SC or Carrera?
Ferg
We can hang out again now w00t.gif Gint, you need a sticker shades.gif
Scott S
"I'm confused. What year is it? It has a Carrera stripe from the 1970's, a Carrera emblem from the '84 - '89, a 3.2 motor, but no integrated driving lights in the front. SC or Carrera?"

That is what I like about the car!

This, my freinds, is a 1977 911! (10/76 build date)

The guy owned it for over 20 years and really babied the car. Here is a pic of the front trunk - all original (i do need to find a compressor however...).

He took the car in for a windows out repaint of the original guards red a few years ago and got a significant case of "while you are in there" disease. The car got butt welded flares, the 3.2 out of a newer carrera - as well as all of the late model carreras under pinnings, brakes, interior, tail etc etc. (it is a factory tail).
Thankfully he retained the manual front windows and the rear pop-out windows.

Torsion bars and sway bars were upgraded and a new set of bilstiens were added. Trans was gone through as well (it still has the 915 box). Wheels are 7 and 9 x 16.

It went throught the California CARB cert process and is totally legal/compliant.
flash914
I thought the big tail was where the condenser for the A/C unit was. But that car has no A/C so I guess not. Gordon
Madswede
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 18 2012, 11:06 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif Keep the spoiler!

And WTF is it with all the Rocky Mountain folks getting 911s?! My 914 isn't here YET. You still have a few more events (maybe) where you can win awards. No need to give up and go all pinky-lifting! laugh.gif poke.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(flash914 @ Dec 18 2012, 11:36 AM) *

I thought the big tail was where the condenser for the A/C unit was. But that car has no A/C so I guess not. Gordon

In my case, for at least the short term, it will simply be a cup holder.... biggrin.gif
Krieger
If your going for that 80's look, Paleese paint the wipers body color! OMG
Scott S
Here is the bottom... pretty clean. Cant wait to get it up in the air and do some scrubbing.
shelby/914
Great buy Scott. Keep the tail, I for one love it. Must also admit that I test drove an SC while the 914 was in process, since I didn't think I would ever get it finished.

Danny
SLITS

NOTE: I will throw out the same disclaimer I sent to the Colorado group - I loved the 80's (what I remember of them.... aktion035.gif ) . Please rember that when looking at the pics - ha!

Hopefully having this will not get my shunned by the 914 group. I will happily throw a 912E badge on the back if neccessary!

If you buy a car with the engine anywhere but in the middle we will casterate you besides throwing you out of the clubhouse. hissyfit.gif

Now, if you buy it for parts we will buy you many beers and steal your parts. ph34r.gif
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! beerchug.gif
FourBlades

I think a 914 GT and a 911 RS is the perfect combination. piratenanner.gif

Oh, and I would like a Pagani Zonda as well. santa_smiley.gif

John
Tom
Very nice! I would love a complete one, but until then, I have an SC part on my 914. Covers that Renn-shift very well!
Tom
zymurgist
Cool ride!
Eric_Shea
Coolieo... making a mental list: idea.gif

Keep tail
Bring wheels back to stock
Change headlight rings
BACKDATE THAT DAMN EXHAUST
Scott S
Hi Mr Shea - beer.gif

I cant back date the exhaust unfortunately. Both the the year of the car and the year of the motor means I have to deal with the emissions nazis.

I am thinking about making the muffler into a dual outlet sport (or maybe a triple outlet rally) - but that means cutting up the rear valance....

Not sure what to do. confused24.gif

I could register it up in Keystone - but that is a PIA too.....
Chris H.
Great score Scott!

Hate to admit this but I kinda...like...the wheels... hide.gif

Ferg
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 18 2012, 03:56 PM) *

Coolieo... making a mental list: idea.gif

Keep tail
Bring wheels back to stock
Change headlight rings
BACKDATE THAT DAMN EXHAUST

My 81 SC flew through emissions no sweat, It had a Cat bypass, they looked right at it with the mirror, shrugged and checked OK for the box for Cat Converter laugh.gif But you are correct, sorta depends on who you get... I was lol-2.gif in the waiting room, that was after they pulled the gas filler flap twice trying to open the engine lid
sixnotfour
I just cut up a 75 911 and sold a 72 MFI 911 Targa. happy11.gif

Still have an 87 Carrera backdate in PPPPPrrooogggrrrrreeeesssssssssss.
tscrihfield
No shame in this car! I really like it! Keep the tail!

Thomas
jbyron
Great car, Scott! I was a product of the eighties too, and I absolutely love these 911's. I just think these bodies have so much more character than the newer 911's.

The whaletail is awesome - wouldn't look right without it. Whenever I see the newer silly little pop-up tails, I just shake my head. Go big or go home!

Seriously green with envy. Nice score :-)
r_towle
84 911 cabriolet here.
Cool car, very different from a 914 in both good and bad ways.

Rich
JmuRiz
Very cool car, I'd love to have the money for a 911...I know of one but a project wouldn't go over well at home.
'77 lightweight with the 3.2, that has to be fun!
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 18 2012, 10:18 AM) *

I was chasing an ERA GT 40 Replica. I really fell in love and got everything in place to pull the deal together. Thank God I did some research and did not just jump right in. The particular car that caught my eye was SIGNIFICANTLY over priced. I went back and forth with the guy for 2-3 months, provided him several examples of similar cars selling prices, yada yada yada. Like many of us know after pumping zillions into a 914, that does not make the car worth what you put in. I dont think he could grasp that concept. Oh well.

I started looking for another one in the states without much luck (I specifically want the mirage/wide bodied lemans car).

Well, car guys are car guys and in my looking around I stumbled on this car. It reminded me of the 914, in that is started out as a plain-jane mid year, but then was significantly upgraded/modified. The current owner has had the car less than 2 years. The previous owner had it for over 20 years and did all of the stuff to it. It is extremely clean top and bottom.

I plan on swapping out the headlights for the euro stuff, and will most likely find a new decklid so I can lose the tail (not really my thing). Oh, and what is the deal with these car stereo companies? What is wrong with making speakers and deck units that are simply BLACK. Sheeesh.

where in colorado are you? I'm in Durango
SUNAB914
Here this one is much cheaper, needs a little work though.
Click to view attachment
Gint
More pics! I hadn't seen the interior Scotty. That's nice. I agree that tail has to go. And I'm not crazy about the body colored insets on the Fuchs. But it's your car! And it's a beauty.

QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 18 2012, 11:29 AM) *
We can hang out again now w00t.gif Gint, you need a sticker shades.gif

No sticker for me!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 18 2012, 04:37 PM) *
Still have an 87 Carrera backdate in PPPPPrrooogggrrrrreeeesssssssssss.

Oohwww... I didn't know that.
Chris Pincetich
Just buy some phoenix red Ray Bans and be done with it beerchug.gif
1980s 4-ever aktion035.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 18 2012, 10:06 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Great car...always have loved the look, including the spoiler. beer.gif
Dr Evil
Did it come with the gold chain?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 18 2012, 10:06 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

WTF.gif That car is begging for a duck!

You are only dipping your toe into the '80s. I dove in completely a few years ago.

I got a poster of this car when I was 16 and was hooked until I was finally able to own it. I sold it after a couple of years of feeling like I was going to get pulled over every time I drove it.

You bought a great looking tuxedo - mine was more of a leisure suit...

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Scott S @ Dec 18 2012, 06:03 PM) *

Hi Mr Shea - beer.gif

I cant back date the exhaust unfortunately. Both the the year of the car and the year of the motor means I have to deal with the emissions nazis.

I am thinking about making the muffler into a dual outlet sport (or maybe a triple outlet rally) - but that means cutting up the rear valance....

Not sure what to do. confused24.gif

I could register it up in Keystone - but that is a PIA too.....

That exhaust takes about 15 Minutes to remove. I have Headers but you probably need Heat.

Probably the best thing to do is remove the Cat & put a By-Pass pipe on - that is a 15 Minute on & off job

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Looks great, keep the whale tail!
Click to view attachment
carr914
I almost bought another one last month ($11k), if I had I would have left the Tail

Click to view attachment

ripper911
I have a mixed up 911 too!
1973 911T targa with updated rear (bumper, reflector and tail) and a carbed 3.0, the front is still classic longhood.
IPB Image

Welcome to the cl beerchug.gif ub!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.