Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Tin Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I'm prepping a 3.0L engine for a /6 conversion. Got the tin on with the PMS motor mount. Seems there is a small gap between the tin and the mount/pulleys. Is this acceptable or is there a solution to this?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Shouldn't cause any problems.
Cap'n Krusty
I disagree, that area needs to be well covered, just as if it were stock.

The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
I used a different front motor mount and had to machine the front pulley off to make it fit!
Krieger
The reason for the tin is so that the cooling fan sucks cooler air from above the motor.
Dr Evil
No worries with that.
John
I use a single pulley or machine off the smaller pulley. Otherwise changing belts becomes a real job.
patssle
So a couple votes saying it's 'OK' and some saying 'NO'. What to do!?
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 19 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Less hot air = more better

Your choice, pick one, run with it ...
popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
Get some sheet metal, cut a rectangle. Drill and tap 4 small holes on the verticle portions of the PMS mount? I doubt you'd spent hour doing this and it would block between 94-96% of the unwanted air. You may want to trim or replace that pulley as someone mentioned before. It looks like getting a belt on when the motor is in the car will be an issue.
Trekkor
FYI:

I have no engine compartment tin. ( none )

No issues.

Idling for extended periods of time on a 100+ degree day, who knows.
I don't do that.

After 30 minute track sessions during 110° temps the motor stay below 190°.

KT
GeorgeRud
I would agree that it's much better to have the engine drawing cooler air into the fan(ie the air from above the engine tin), I would imagine that a small amount of warmer, under-tin air would not pose much of a problem. If the engine is out, fabricating a small patch panel would not be a ad idea, but would have to be removed to change a fan belt, etc.
Gint
QUOTE(patssle @ Dec 19 2012, 04:50 PM) *

Run it. Watch your temp. If it runs hot, making a cover can be a starting point.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Dec 19 2012, 06:09 PM) *
FYI:
I have no engine compartment tin. ( none )
No issues.
Idling for extended periods of time on a 100+ degree day, who knows.
I don't do that.
After 30 minute track sessions during 110° temps the motor stay below 190°.

You are missing the point. The point is that hotter intake air has less oxygen per volume and thus reduces the HP output of your engine.

Cooler intake air means more HP.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.