Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake reservoir overflow hose during bleeding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kmwvmarip
Dumb question, again....

Trying to bleed the brakes.
Borrowed a pressure bleeder from a buddy.
All set to go. Then noticed that--duh!--fluid is running out of the overflow tube all over the garage floor.

Would still like to use the pressure bleeder since I am solo... any work around with this. I thought of crimping the overflow tube with "something" but it seems pretty old and crispy. I just dont want to have to replace something after I fry it.

Am I back to the old "pump brakes" option?

Krieger
Put a short piece of hose that you can plug on the nipple. Put a clamp on it. Put a cruddy rag around everything in case it pops off.
Elliot Cannon
Buy some speed bleeders. They're cheap and make it a one man job.
ruby914
That fluid is going to eat your paint, if you don't get it all cleaned off. sad.gif
stugray
Wait.... there is an overflow drain??

I tried the pressure method because I had an extra cap laying around.
I put ~10-15 PSI on the resivoir and it held pressure but didnt help the bleeding at all. If there is an overflow, then it should not have held pressure?

So I went with the speed bleeders. They work great.

Stu
kmwvmarip
I checked the tube from the brake fluid reservoir and being 40+ years old, it is just too crispy even to pry it off. Even checking to see if it was feasible seemed not so good as I can imagine cracking the reservoir or some dumb thing and then having a real problem on my hands.

I think I'll attack the problem by pumping tomorrow. As far as speed bleeders--I just don't want to buy one more thing. Shoestring budget and all.

With the glass half full: Guess I'll spend some quality time with my wife tomorrow!
mepstein
After a MC replacement, I had my wife pump brakes while I worked the bleeders. Took no time at all. Drove the car for a while and now I plan to bleed the brakes again just to get any remaining air that may have worked it's way through.
Mikey914
I had this problem today. The overflow was pretty crunchy too. I plugged it and proceeded to bleed in sequence. Only problem is that with a new master (19mm), the pedal still softer than a remember it should be.
larryM
yup

- that's significant problem with the pressure bleeder Pelican et al sell

you have to plug the overflow - or it won't work

enuf said

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.