Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring rates for a 3.3L Subie conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
I'm doing a 3.3L Subie conversion with a WRX trans using Ian's kit. Not sure the 90 lb rear springs are going to cut it, and they need to be changed anyway. What spring rate would be best? 250 hpish flat 6. Weighs about 350 lbs I think. Don't want my teeth rattled out, just want them to be strong enough for the job. Maybe the stock springs are OK I just don't know.

Build thread coming soon!~
wingnut86
Chris,

I'm only looking at a 2.5L SOHC Subie with Ian's setup, and I'm seriously rethinking going back up to 140LB springs from the 90s I currently have.

I'm searching for a spring rate calculator now, but share what you find on your end if you come across one that satisfies our setups.

Dave
TravisNeff
What do you have in the front, torsion bar size and sway bar? if so, what size?
Chris H.
Travis,

Stock setup now... not even a sway bar but plan to look for a later 911 front suspension with sway bar built in. I had planned to do a much smaller conversion (2.2) but the SVX came up cheap and I couldn't pass it up.

Dave,

I'll definitely let you know what I learn as well. I thought the 140# springs were hard to come by but maybe thats not right.

Mike Bellis
I have 200lb progressive springs on mine. From the heavy V8 to the lightweight rotary. I love it. I have not driven with the Audi motor yet.
mittelmotor
I think 200-lb. springs would be nice, paired with 21-mm torsion bars up front. That's my setup with the LS1 V-8, about the same weight as yours. I've get Koni yellows set on full soft, and the ride remains pretty civilized, and I've yet to bottom out the rear suspension even at a slightly lower-than-stock ride height.

--Doug
Van914
When I did my 3.0 conversion I used:
21 mm Torson Bars
19mm Sway Bar
180lb rear springs
Koni Yellows
Tarrett Polly Bronse Bushings

Van914@aol.com

TravisNeff
I would suggest for a decent ride and improved performance, add in a stock or 19mm front sway bar and 140lb rear springs. If your shocks are shot, replacing those while you are at it.

At 350lbs for the engine you are not much heavier than a stock, plus you will be adding some weight up front with the cooling system.
jimkelly
i think i've read one say that a rear sway bar feels like an increase in spring rate.

these look nice
http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...hp/II=76/CA=217
andys
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 20 2012, 01:28 PM) *

i think i've read one say that a rear sway bar feels like an increase in spring rate.

these look nice
http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...hp/II=76/CA=217

Those Ground Control springs and perches are a good value for the money. I have a set on my car. 200# springs on a V8 conversion.

Andys

Chris H.
Thanks guys! Great advice. Those Ground Controls look like the ticket. Definitely going with new shocks and struts as well. The rears are coughcoughcough..oldKYBs...coughcough... So I imagine the ride will be much smoother regardless. I assume the Boges up front are original.

nsyr
I have the svx engine with suby trans.
initially i had 165# progressive rate on bilstein hd and i had issues with tire rub.
I then put on 185# progressive and it is holding up.
i do plan on putting on collars and trying the 165s again. They just had a more comfortable ride.
nsyr
Double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.