Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: attn 914 newbies - places to look for rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
in my opinion, the best thing to do is have car stripped down completely and then blasted. this way you can know for certain how much rust repair is needed.

then have car's metal repaired, then paint, reassemble -- or -- have car etch primed, paint bombed and reassembled for driving as is.

but assume up front it will need cabin floor pan replaced, rear trunk pan replaced, some hell hole area work. plan on needing $3000-$5000 in metal repairs (labor and parts) - your mileage may vary : )
bulitt
Pedal Area barf.gif

IPB Image
mepstein
Just read my build thread at Scotty B's and you'll see a lot more sad.gif
JmuRiz
If it's a jimkelly or mepstein car look for rust everywhere biggrin.gif

Just messing with you guys...good list for newbies on where to look when viewing a car for sale.
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2012, 10:01 AM) *

If it's a jimkelly or mepstein car look for rust everywhere biggrin.gif

Ain't that the truth!
billh1963
Don't forget Scott's thread on my car....between us we have all the rust covered!
vitaminC
So, basically, anywhere there is metal?

welder.gif
boogie_man
Thanks a bunch, you just brought back bad memories. Back to the couch
I go to review my childhood with the shrink. slap.gif
jimkelly
link to mepstein's build thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104838&hl=

and some quick reference pics.
scotty b
QUOTE(vitaminC @ Dec 20 2012, 08:20 AM) *

So, basically, anywhere there is metal?

welder.gif

unsure.gif Si unsure.gif
tscrihfield
This is a great idea for a thread! If there is not already one maybe this could be a start for a buyers guide we could nail to the top of the garage post. I know that I have turned a few folks to this site that are looking for a 914. It would be great to compile everyones thoughts/experiences into one thread for people to study prior to the purchase.

And then we could always give pointer for the not so far gone ones.... confused24.gif

Thanks for the post mr. Kelly

Thomas
mepstein
The difficult part of buying is we can't just take Scotty's lie detector to a sellers car and go to town. Paint is like a hard candy shell that keeps the gooey center from leaking out. My car looked pretty good until Scotty started tearing it apart. It's part of what makes these cars such a challenge.
Ed_F
sawzall-smiley.gif
jimkelly
my 1972 914's rust that scottyb tok care of.

jimkelly
billh1963's rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.