Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT...Looks like more of us are getting tail draggers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
Just closed the deal on this 1987 Carrera. This has the G50 transmission. PPI results from the engine (leakdown and compression) were perfect. Needs some minor TLC. Scotty...get your paint gun ready! biggrin.gif

Sorry for the crappy pictures...pick it up next Friday when the seller gets back in town from the Holidays.

IPB Image

IPB Image
scotty b
Oh that's sweet of you to get a Targa for the little lady poke.gif
bandjoey
Cheapest way for a 914 gt conversion biggrin.gif nice car otherwise.
JmuRiz
Paint gun? Paint looks good enough to me!
scotty b
Steve Wong chip
SSI's
M&K muffler

Makes a completely different ( better.........WAAAAY better ) beast happy11.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 20 2012, 03:47 PM) *

Oh that's sweet of you to get a Targa for the little lady poke.gif

lol-2.gif I'm not a targa fan...really wanted a coupe. But, with a documented engine and transmission rebuild (less than 10,000 miles) I couldn't say no!
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Steve Wong chip
SSI's
M&K muffler

Has SSI's and Ansa.

No chip, though.

Heavy dent on rear passenger fender well. That's where you come in. Original paint..no signs of any previous accident damage. Perfect dash. Needs carpet. Seats are marginal.
gandalf_025
Wife's daily driver.. 86 Carrera.. Doesn't do anything for me...

She has always picked oddball cars...

Parts car in the making as far as I'm concerned
JmuRiz
Good point Scott...the Steve Wong chip is nice!
I made those suggestions to my wife's boss and he loved the results.
jbyron
Nice pickup!

Starting to think 914's are a gateway drug... idea.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(jbyron @ Dec 20 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Nice pickup!

Starting to think 914's are a gateway drug... idea.gif

I started with 911's (993C4S, 996 40th Anniversary and a 997). Bought 914's...now adding another air cooled to the mix! piratenanner.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 20 2012, 04:41 PM) *

Wife's daily driver.. 86 Carrera.. Doesn't do anything for me...

She has always picked oddball cars...

Parts car in the making as far as I'm concerned

I want dibs on the twin plug beast!
boogie_man
Oh heck ya bud!!! Congrats !!! Why are you chops so hard on us 911 guys !!??

it took the 911 to make the 914 six if I recall correctly, can't we all just get along ? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 20 2012, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Steve Wong chip
SSI's
M&K muffler

Has SSI's and Ansa.

No chip, though.

Heavy dent on rear passenger fender well. That's where you come in. Original paint..no signs of any previous accident damage. Perfect dash. Needs carpet. Seats are marginal.

you can't go wrong with a Wong huh.gif

idea.gif Damn, I need to trademark that for SOOoooo many different websites lol-2.gif
Gint
Sweet! Grats

And I was looking for an excuse to post this pic.

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Nice!!!!
Tom_T
....err, better make that a 50x30 garage Mr Contractor! biggrin.gif

Oh, & bump that clear height to 14-15' so I can add lifts all across too!
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 20 2012, 09:03 PM) *

....err, better make that a 50x30 garage Mr Contractor! biggrin.gif

Oh, & bump that clear height to 14-15' so I can add lifts all across too!

Might have to sell a couple 914's in the spring. I was reviewing my car "portfolio" earlier and realize I am lopsided..too many 914's! lol-2.gif
FourBlades

Nice! piratenanner.gif

I want a 1985 911, the year I graduated college.

John
Porsche930dude
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 20 2012, 08:26 PM) *

Sweet! Grats

And I was looking for an excuse to post this pic.

Click to view attachment

Is that a bench seat in the 914 laugh.gif
hot_shoe914
I will trade you Betsy for it. poke.gif
Rleog
How much of a boost in power would a Wong chip give a 3.2?
billh1963
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 20 2012, 10:51 PM) *

You would miss her biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 21 2012, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 20 2012, 10:51 PM) *

You would miss her biggrin.gif

Not really, she just sits under the cover and doesn't move.
billh1963
QUOTE(Rleog @ Dec 21 2012, 04:52 AM) *

How much of a boost in power would a Wong chip give a 3.2?

Steve Wong site

Q: How much power can I expect with your chip?
A: You can expect a 6-8% increase in horsepower and torque throughout the powerband on to redline, with a 10-20% increase in part throttle torque, horsepower and engine efficiency. Horsepower increases are approximately 12-16 hp and 20 lbs of torque through the powerband, with regions such as at 6500 with a 25-35 hp gain. The lag and delay currently experienced below 4000 rpm will be gone, with power coming on as soon as 1500 rpm and pulling hard all the way to the rev limit, providing much improved everyday drivability, throttle response and low and mid end torque. With more modifications to your motor, greater gains can be expected as the stock chip becomes more of a hindrance - as much as 20 hp with polished intake runners and a sport exhaust. At full throttle, the Motronic DME ignores all sensor inputs and injects no more fuel than has been factory preprogrammed for a stock motor. Modifications to the exhaust and induction system become a fruitless exercise without ignition mapping optimization and adequate fuel compensation, and fuel equals power. Since each chip is specifically tailored to meet each customer's specification and configuration, expect the maximum power derivable over a one size fits all chip solution. Expect at least a 0.5 second reduction in both your 0-60 and ΒΌ mile acceleration times.

stuttgart46
Steve Wong chip for sure.
You're going to love the G50 compared to the 901/915.
JRust
I am a die hard teener! Having said that a mid 80's guards red or black 911 with a whale tail was an instant wood for me as a kid happy11.gif .
AZ914
Congrats Bill!!!

Looks like a great car, the 3.2 is a sweet motor. driving.gif

Here is a picture of my ELFER..

billh1963
Nice 993! You upgrade the brake calipers or just paint them?
AZ914
Hey Bill.. that was done by the PO.. I've only had the car for a few months. I believe they are just painted. I have a bunch of mods on the list as money permits. WONG is one of them. I did the exhaust a couple of months ago, and just placed an order on a new suspension to stiffen and lower it some.
billh1963
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 21 2012, 11:53 AM) *

Hey Bill.. that was done by the PO.. I've only had the car for a few months. I believe they are just painted. I have a bunch of mods on the list as money permits. WONG is one of them. I did the exhaust a couple of months ago, and just placed an order on a new suspension to stiffen and lower it some.

Did you get the RSR mufflers? I put those on my Carrera 4S...sounded great.

Gint
Damn Jason! I had no idea you bought a 993.
AZ914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 21 2012, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 21 2012, 11:53 AM) *

Did you get the RSR mufflers? I put those on my Carrera 4S...sounded great.

I went with Fister Stage 2s. Aggressive but not overkill. The RSRs are sweet! I wish I could afford all the mods I'd like smile.gif
AZ914
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 21 2012, 04:14 PM) *

Yes sir! Hopefully I can drive the 914 and get my wife to drive the 993 to the Rt 66.

What year is your 11? 74ish?
SUNAB914
Pretty car Bill. Want to trade?
That didn't come from Savannah did it?
bcheney
We have both...75 6 conversion and 89 Targa...Fantastic Cars!!
Gint
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 21 2012, 10:10 PM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 21 2012, 04:14 PM) *
Yes sir! Hopefully I can drive the 914 and get my wife to drive the 993 to the Rt 66.

What year is your 11? 74ish?

75 S, Peru Red
gms
I found one over the summer
Click to view attachment

and immediately pulled the 3.0L engine to put in a 914
Click to view attachment

scotty b
Targas NEED ducktails poke.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Dec 22 2012, 07:55 AM) *

Pretty car Bill. Want to trade?
That didn't come from Savannah did it?

It's not a local car...no trades biggrin.gif
Rleog
Whoa! That ducktail seems to balance the kink in the Targa roofline nicely. Hadn't noticed that before. Thanks.
euro911
Funny ... used to be, 911 owners looked down their noses at 914s - looks to be the other way around now sad.gif
gandalf_025
the phrase "911 owners used to look down their noses at 914's" is a VERY gentle way of describing the treatment of ANY 914 in the early 70's. I was there and I experienced it first hand..
billh1963
Picked up my "new" 911 yesterday. Details are:

1987 Carrera Targa with 3.2 and G50. 167K miles. Original paint. Rebuilt G50 (with receipts) around 10K miles ago and complete upper end rebuild (also with receipts) around 50K miles ago. Lots of receipts since the early 1990's. PPI showed excellent compression and leakdown numbers. No smoke or drips.

Got this car for an excellent price (military owner transferring overseas). Needs new tires and some cosmetics but overall is a great running car.

Obligatory pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
turk22
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 29 2012, 06:25 PM) *

Picked up my "new" 911 yesterday. Details are:

1987 Carrera Targa with 3.2 and G50. 167K miles. Original paint. Rebuilt G50 (with receipts) around 10K miles ago and complete upper end rebuild around 50K miles ago. PPI showed excellent compression and leakdown numbers. No smoke or drips.

Got this car for an excellent price (military owner transferring overseas). Needs new tires and some cosmetics but overall is a great running car.

Bill, is the goal to have one of every color ? beer.gif

(your almost there!!)
billh1963
I started in 911's and after having owned several since 2002 (993's, 996's, and a 997) I went to the 914 side of the house last year. I still like the 911 so when this one fell in my lap I couldn't resist it! piratenanner.gif
turk22
I think I could walk away from my 914 for a mid-eightys 911 SC Coupe...

thats been a car I've wanted for a loooonng time.
billh1963
The G50 is such a nice change from the 901 (and a hydraulic clutch, too!)....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 22 2012, 07:20 PM) *

the phrase "911 owners used to look down their noses at 914's" is a VERY gentle way of describing the treatment of ANY 914 in the early 70's. I was there and I experienced it first hand..

In late '72, sfter I'd bought my 914, I noticed that when I passed 911's & flashed them there was no reponse. When I passed a 356 it was walls of lights.
Funny, because these were the people that originally gave thumbs down to the 911. Yet we 914 owners were accepted by 356'ers. Eventually, when the 911 owners realized we 914 owners could whip them on a tight auto-x course they came around.
I've had 3 tail draggers & one 914. I now have one 914. Guess which one I prefer, though a 73 E or S would bring out more testosterone.

Still regret selling my 73 CIS T to Ferg.
billh1963
I've always regretted selling my 993C4S:

IPB Image

The newer cars were phenomonal cars...fast, beautiful, and very complex. I really like this '87. I do not feel intimidated by the car (electronics are really limited) and it makes all the right sounds and has all the right smells!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.