Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear valance- painted or powder coated from factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawk
I cant tell from the one Ive got and would like to redo per factory spec for dents and blemishes. Thx.
tod914
Pat Garvey has a thread on refinishing these. Might also be under rocker covers. He mentioned the early ones had a body shutz sprayed on, then topcoated with a satin black. Jeff Bowsby has literature on the factory black that was used if you care to source it. Mason? Hopefully they will chime in. I'm not 100% convinced the shutz was used 73+ cars. To me it seems like they were painted with grey primer, then thick paint applied. They do have a "texture" to them, but on the mid to later cars, it doesn't seem to be quite as pronouced. On the original cars I've seen, the inside is not painted, just left in primer. Hopefully that helps abit.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 20 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Pat Garvey has a thread on refinishing these. Might also be under rocker covers. He mentioned the early ones had a body shutz sprayed on, then topcoated with a satin black. Jeff Bowsby has literature on the factory black that was used if you care to source it. Mason? Hopefully they will chime in. I'm not 100% convinced the shutz was used 73+ cars. To me it seems like they were painted with grey primer, then thick paint applied. They do have a "texture" to them, but on the mid to later cars, it doesn't seem to be quite as pronouced. On the original cars I've seen, the inside is not painted, just left in primer. Hopefully that helps abit.

agree.gif ... it's in the Originality & History Forum

Powder coating wasn't done back then.
Rand
powder coated from factory

Definitely not.

From my experience in the mountain biking world, powder coating started getting popular in the early 80s.

My question is: Will a judge notice and dock you for the difference between a powdercoated vs painted finish???
tod914
Rand, my 75 I had the valances and rocker covers pc'd in a raven black. Even had a slight texture to it. It was hard to distinguish from paint.
Drums66
Undercoating is another idea?..(front&back)Rhino-lining?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 22 2012, 01:19 PM) *

Undercoating is another idea?..(front&back)Rhino-lining?

agree.gif

Or you could wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl! Or paint it in that chrome spray paint! Or maybe mold some NACA ducts into it! Or apply a large letter S to it...

unsure.gif Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...he is in a weird mood today...
tod914
Carbon fiber would make it lighter right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.