Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mig welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I am getting a decent deal on a century 155 mig welder. anyone used that brand? Pros cons- is this good for a starter with no welding experience?
Brian_Boss
IMHO, it should be OK if it is the version with gas. I think you would be making it harder on yourself if you try to learn with flux core wire (no shield gas).

As far as Century goes, I would say it's better than Harbor Freight but not as good as Miller or Lincoln.

If you do a search, you will find a bunch of threads on MIG recommendations.
underthetire
I had one, a gas version. Sold it at a garage sale. I hope it's super cheap.
914itis
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 21 2012, 07:42 PM) *

I had one, a gas version. Sold it at a garage sale. I hope it's super cheap.

You didn't say why you sold it.
underthetire
Never could get it to weld right. Tips were somewhat tough to find. I though it was just me, my brother borrowed it to weld up his bus. He promptly borrowed a miller and brought mine back. I do remember the duty cycle was realllly low, and if you pushed it past the duty cycle, power went down. It probably would have worked for just sticking stuff together, but was not real great for bodywork.
jmargush
I have a century and have used it for years.

leaps and bounds better than Harbor freight and I would agree not as good as Miller or lincoln but I have restored two cars with it and done numerous other jobs. For the price it was a great altenative when you compare what it takes to ge tinto a Miller
jmill
Had a 220V Century. Welded great. Can't say much for the 110 version.
914itis
Thanks all . I will get a miller or Lincoln as suggested .
jmill
Hobart is Millers off brand. I have a Hobart 187. Has everything the Miller has except infinite heat. It even has Miller on the gun. As long as the heat or feed is infinite you can adjust it to make nice welds. Its a 220V welder and welds very nice for almost half the price of a Miller.
saigon71
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 21 2012, 09:50 PM) *

Thanks all . I will get a miller or Lincoln as suggested .

I was in the same situation as you a few years back (no welding experience, looking to buy a mig). Don't rule out a Hobart if you get the right deal. I got a never used Hobart Handler 140 gas ready, never used with 3 sets of gloves, welding helmet, crag hammer and cart never used off craigslist for $400. Great welder!

914itis
QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 21 2012, 10:14 PM) *

Paul what are you going to do with a welder?

Just need something to practice .
rfuerst911sc
I also have a Hobart 140 and it is a great welder for a DIYer. I welded the GT flares on my teener, the Engman kit ( RIP ) and various chassis stiffening parts it did a great job. As stated earlier Hobart is a sister division of Miller. Plenty of deals online but buying local has its advantages to.
cary
I'm still using my $300 Sears 90 amp ...........

But I still keep thinking about getting a new one. We'll see how she does putting in the new longs on my rustoration.
Doing my research, they say all you need is a 140 amp for working on most all cars.
But I see a welder as kind of like horsepower. More is better. LOL.

So I still have my eye on the Miller 180.

Miller sales pitch is the Millermatic. It's supposed to compensate for inconsistent distance from the weld. As you pull the puddle and your hand goes in and out from the material its supposed to adjust the power to make the weld consistent. Snake oil?

76-914
Miller. I've dealt with two pro welders this month and both cautioned against Lincoln saying they thought Lincoln was riding on it's name and that miller was the last good welder. I started with gas, then flux core, then mig. Flux core isn't for panels and requires a very clean surface. It is good to learn on and will teach you to truly appreciate a good mig set up. happy11.gif
tracks914
Century was bought out by Lincoln a few years ago and are now offering it as the "cheap" line. Lincoln and Miller have been the top of the line for years but depending on how much you use or need one it may be hard to justify the extra dollars.
I've been welding for 30 years and I just picked up a Century Inverter welder for about $200 shipped to Canada. (Ebay deal NIB)
Century Home Depot US
or the same thing in Canada we get sheeplove.gif up here
Century Home Depot Canada

It's only 110 volts and up to 100 amps but for light work around the house....
I've only used it a couple of times but so far with 7018 3/32 rods or S.S 1/16 rods it has done a pretty good job for something that comes with a shoulder strap and you can carry around with you.
914itis
QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 22 2012, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 22 2012, 12:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Scotti @ Dec 21 2012, 10:14 PM) *

Paul what are you going to do with a welder?

Just need something to practice .

Good. I thought you were thinking of fixing Bea's car av-943.gif

Bea? Who's bea? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.