Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker assembly torque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I used the Tom Wilson book on some of my engine rebuild. It says to tighten the rocker shafts down at 18 Ft lbs.

Is this too much [Jake's video, I discovered after the fact, says less]? If so should I go back, reset and re adjust the valves?
Brad Roberts
18 is too much for that size of nut/stud. Should be in the 10 range if I recall correctly.

B
MattR
Im having a helluva time with those rocker arms and studs. I went to 18 (per the red book), but Im thinking it was too much. headbang.gif I need a new stud now.
newdeal2
Hmmm...so I go back and lighten it up? Is it possible I stretched the studs or am I getting anal here?! cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Common torque settings across the Porsche board just barely call for 18 on a M8 stud... NO WAY they would use 18 on a M5 stud.

B
newdeal2
QUOTE(MattR @ Nov 7 2004, 09:44 PM)
Im having a helluva time with those rocker arms and studs. I went to 18 (per the red book), but Im thinking it was too much. headbang.gif I need a new stud now.

Is this a "real" problem, I mean too much tension on the shaft?
Brad Roberts
If anything it will strip the threads out of the puny nut.

B
newdeal2
So...do I back off the torque or replace the studs? I had this problem before on a water cooled head and relaced the studs but that was a more critical location., i.e head studs.
Brad Roberts
The studs should be fine.. replace the nuts and inspect the studs.

B
MattR
This is an M7 stud, not M5... atleast for the 2.0L heads.

Brad, do you guys have any rocker arm studs you can pull?
Brad Roberts
Hundreds upon hundreds of heads.. but Jake likes to use the VW type one pieces (I think)

The nut is 11mm I *thought* the small end of the stud was a M5.

B
Jake Raby
Actuallymine are ARP units made just for the purpose, but the TIs will work if you ream the rockers for their shoulder...

I never use the stock studs, they threads rip right out of the nuts- They are too small even for a stock engine. When I did use them I believe we loctited them at 10 lb/ft..
Rhodes71/914
I am about to put my 2.0 back together, should I put different rocker arm studs in?
Jake Raby
Every engine can benefit from better studs. I have seen them snap with stock spring tension on a bus engine. Since that I have used nothing else but the H/D units..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.