Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't know If You've Seen This
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justinevert
OK, got this from my fellow BMW 02 Peeps and I wish someone had done this before all the work I have done on my car.

Please let me know what you think, it is totally a brilliant design. piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif

The only catch is that it is not ready for the retail market yet, they are trying to get it into production. headbang.gif

Let them know what they think, it needs to happen!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6z5BW_meE
carr914
Betcha that won't be cheap til the Chinese reverse-engineer it & it's sold in Harbor Freight
Ferg
That was just on that invention show on History Channel smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
Is this really necessary? Will it help an able bodied mechanic do his job better? Faster? Lets hear from some of the pros out there. Would you actually make use of this device? I think if you were a handicapped person who worked as a mechanic it would be very usefull. Or if you were as old as Cap'n Krusty. lol-2.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 22 2012, 12:00 PM) *

Is this really necessary? Will it help an able bodied mechanic do his job better? Faster? Lets hear from some of the pros out there. Would you actually make use of this device? I think if you were a handicapped person who worked as a mechanic it would be very usefull. Or if you were as old as Cap'n Krusty. lol-2.gif

I wouldn't waste my money. Besides professional mechanics usually use lifts and don't work on the floor.
bugsy0
meh. A solution looking for a problem. Besides, the solution is far more complicated than the problem itself, which speaks volumes about how useful it would be.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 22 2012, 01:04 PM) *

I wouldn't waste my money. Besides professional mechanics usually use lifts and don't work on the floor.

I don't totally agree with you, the segment that this would service best is heavy truck, construction and farm equipment. One of the locals has spent his career on a creeper as this stuff is to heavy for a lift. He has gone to the trouble of installing in-floor heat (he has the smooth floor) and he has $50k+ in his Snap-on toolbox, I'd bet he'd buy this even if it had a $1K pricetag.

They would need one with bigger (even powered) wheels for on the jobsite.
Woody
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 22 2012, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 22 2012, 01:04 PM) *

I don't totally agree with you, the segment that this would service best is heavy truck, construction and farm equipment. One of the locals has spent his career on a creeper as this stuff is to heavy for a lift. He has gone to the trouble of installing in-floor heat (he has the smooth floor) and he has $50k+ in his Snap-on toolbox, I'd bet he'd buy this even if it had a $1K pricetag.

They would need one with bigger (even powered) wheels for on the jobsite.

Good point. dry.gif
PanelBilly
I need one of these!
euro911
I think it's pretty cool smile.gif
r_towle
While Elliott seems to be in perfect shape, considering his age (pot calling kettle black here)....

It wears me out getting up and down to get tools....
I tend to get tons of tools and lay them all near the car to eliminate the up down up down things.

But, I got a lift....which is awesome.
I don't miss the up down thing and I can work longer now smile.gif

Rich
justinevert
Well for those who don't have the $ or space for a lift, I say there's a niche for it.

On a lighter note it would be perfect for a bar, start drinking a the chair mode, pass out in creep mode, easy to roll into a cab.

Justin
Woody
QUOTE(justinevert @ Dec 22 2012, 02:12 PM) *

Well for those who don't have the $ or space for a lift, I say there's a niche for it.

On a lighter note it would be perfect for a bar, start drinking a the chair mode, pass out in creep mode, easy to roll into a cab.

Justin

first.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 22 2012, 02:51 PM) *

While Elliott seems to be in perfect shape, considering his age (pot calling kettle black here)....

It wears me out getting up and down to get tools....
I tend to get tons of tools and lay them all near the car to eliminate the up down up down things.

But, I got a lift....which is awesome.
I don't miss the up down thing and I can work longer now smile.gif

Rich

Rich, I'm in not in to bad of shape and I monkey roll on the mats a couple times a week, I still can't handle crawling under a car anymore. My lift is the best investment I ever made.
mittelmotor
That's intriguing, and it could double as a street luge. piratenanner.gif

But I bet it'd be hugely expensive; probably not for the home mechanic/hobbyist. But for the professional workplace, say, maintaining a truck fleet, it would be fantastic. If the truck had enough ground clearance already, it would save the time of putting it on a lift.
ClayPerrine
It would not be useful for a 914. But it would be useful for trucks.

I wonder if it would be useful for sex?????

GeorgeRud
Since having knee replacement surgery last year, I can't really kneel anymore, so getting up and down off a creeper is basically impossible. This would be helpful, but I think it's price may be more than a two post lift.

Getting under a car on jack stands was a lot more fun 30 years ago!
ConeDodger
Nope... I can't imagine it would ever be cheap enough that I would bother with it.
flippa
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 22 2012, 02:47 PM) *

Since having knee replacement surgery last year, I can't really kneel anymore, so getting up and down off a creeper is basically impossible. This would be helpful, but I think it's price may be more than a two post lift.

Getting under a car on jack stands was a lot more fun 30 years ago!

agree.gif

I can see a market for this. Some of us older guys with trashed knees have difficulty getting up and down onto a creeper or kneeling. If I were a professional mechanic, I would consider something like this (depending on the price of course).
montoya 73 2.0
It would have to be in the 1k+ price range with all that engineering that has been put into it. I just wonder about which way the spring tension is placed in? I would hate to see what happened if a failure happened while under the vehicle and it went into the upright position!? Hopefully they already thought if that.
euro911
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Dec 22 2012, 05:04 PM) *
It would have to be in the 1k+ price range with all that engineering that has been put into it. I just wonder about which way the spring tension is placed in? I would hate to see what happened if a failure happened while under the vehicle and it went into the upright position!? Hopefully they already thought if that.
headbang.gif

I believe it's operated by electric motors, not sprung ... but good to see you're thinking about our safety idea.gif
montoya 73 2.0
The video says its hydraulic and spring torsion powered?

EDIT: Looking at the video again, it does look as though the springs are at rest in the "creeper" position.
Rand
I know a roller derby girl who could put that to shame!!!

I get that some guys need assistance and I respect that. But this? Not sure this is right for them.

But an able-bodied man using that? Only the salesman. When he's changing batteries I'll be doing something more productive.

Sounds like a fun 9games challenge for the next wcr.
Rand
The subject fooled me. I saw "man hoist" and thought I was going to see a mega hoist that could lift anything.

Wait. A hoist for a man? What kind of man needs a personal hoist?

We should rename this thread. BMW men, get your girly..... ahem I mean GQ hoist
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.