Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffs..er...mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Scrounging around for an OEM muffler for a 6.
Would anyone know the correct part number...
And perhaps...
Difference between those for a 6....and a taildragger
Thanks
Paul
ArtechnikA
ETKA says the muffler is 901.111.011.11
The difference is the tailpipe portion, which has a different bend to it.
Unless you are using an original valence or participating in national-level concours, either will work fine. Interestingly, the tail pipe portion has its own part number - 901.111.289.00 - but I'd guess there's no chance of finding that separately any more. The chrome tip 'ornamental echaust pipe' is 901.111.245.01 (for completeness).

1969 911 'silencer' is 901.111.025.00
porbmw
Wow
That was quick...and complete.
Thanks very much
Paul
914Sixer
You can use a 911 muffler IF you do not have the stock -6 valance. The -6 muffler was bent at the correct angle for the hole in the rear valance.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 23 2012, 07:07 PM) *

You can use a 911 muffler IF you do not have the stock -6 valance. The -6 muffler was bent at the correct angle for the hole in the rear valance.

Early OE mufflers had the part number (and production date ) stamped into them.
The stamped info is visible at lowest curve of the chamber, nearer the passenger side inlet. Most were Leistritz. The challenge is to find one that is not rusted to illegibility..... or oblivion! Rust free, forty year old muffler ? yeah, no problem.
If you are serious about this and need photos or an example for tailpipe shape/orientation I have perfect examples.
porbmw
Thanks y'all!

I have an original rear valance....

As fate has it, ebay came up with what was advertised as an OEM 6 muffler, never installed, but some surface rust (presumably from storage), esp on one side...it doesn't look that bad from the pics.

So I"ve pulled the trigger, thanks to your help re numbers etc. I've never seen one come up, so if this is indeed the real deal, then it's a gift to my original 6...

And a thanks again from you.
All the best

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.