Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 trans question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
303racing
Been considering a sideshift trans for my 1970 914/6. Know it works a lot better than my tailshifter although I`ve heard there are some internals that vary from a 4cyl tailshifter - true? I know the sideshifter would be a better conversion but curious if the internals (ratios ) are different. Any trans guru`s care to chime in in?

carr914
A Tailshifter can be converted to a Sideshifter - Dr Evil has done one for me.

As I remember 5th Gear is different from a later (-4) Tranny
303racing
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 23 2012, 06:24 PM) *

A Tailshifter can be converted to a Sideshifter - Dr Evil has done one for me.

As I remember 5th Gear is different from a later (-4) Tranny

Bummer is I`m in Calif. There are cores here and have read the conversion link on Pelican. My tailshifter is in good shape, be nice to find someone to trade a good side + cash for a complete side. Probably a long shot.
carr914
Don't trade your 914-6 Tranny - the -6 Serial Numbers are specific to them.

Talk to Dr Evil & see if he is having a Clinic near you. Get Parts, Go to the Clinic, Done!
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 23 2012, 06:50 PM) *
Don't trade your 914-6 Tranny - the -6 Serial Numbers are specific to them.

agree.gif
If the tranny came with your car, don't sell it! A numbers matching /6 will fetch quite a bit more $ if you ever decide to sell it.

popcorn[1].gif
GeorgeRud
I converted my -6 to a side shifter and haven't regretted the change. If does shift nicer, and was an easy conversion. Simply swap out the trans, shift linkage, and the firewall bushing. All bolt on without any major issues.

The speedo does read off from what my iPhone's speedo app says using GPS, but otherwise it's a great upgrade.

BTW, I did keep the original transmission and shifter parts for later if I ever sell the car.
Cairo94507
I had Dr. Evil convert my Six transaxle to a side-shifter and I kept the tail-shifter parts just in case.
303racing
QUOTE(303racing @ Dec 23 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Been considering a sideshift trans for my 1970 914/6. Know it works a lot better than my tailshifter although I`ve heard there are some internals that vary from a 4cyl tailshifter - true? I know the sideshifter would be a better conversion but curious if the internals (ratios ) are different. Any trans guru`s care to chime in in?

All matching #s car it stays!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.