Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursche muffler fitting and shift linkage question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
I have a 1972 that I just installed the 76 2.0l engine. I have a Bursche muffler system that the previous owner sent home with me. The muffler assemblly won't line up. WHen I first installed the headers they appeared to be hanging too low...so I flipped them over and now the muffler won't fit? Any pics of how it is supposed to look?
Hammy
1.7/1.8 and 2.0 exhaust systems are different. Your muffler might be for a 1.7.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 23 2012, 09:55 PM) *

1.7/1.8 and 2.0 exhaust systems are different. Your muffler might be for a 1.7.

Thanks for the insight. The header has a sticker on it that says its for 75 and 76 models. But I wondered if the clearance was different since i was putting a 76 engine/exhaust in a 72 car?
Hammy
Forgot to mention.. The 75/76 late style headers/heat exchangers were different too, IIRC. They will not bolt up to the earlier style 2.0 mufflers. The 76 2.0 motor will go in your 72 no problem, you just need a matching exhaust/muffler setup. Do you have pictures?
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Hammy @ Dec 23 2012, 10:06 PM) *

Forgot to mention.. The 75/76 late style headers/heat exchangers were different too, IIRC. They will not bolt up to the earlier style 2.0 mufflers. The 76 2.0 motor will go in your 72 no problem, you just need a matching exhaust/muffler setup. Do you have pictures?

I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow.
thanks,
j
quadracerx
Ok...Im confused...which is nothing new..LOL

So if I had a 76 car the muffler from a 73-74 wont fit without swapping the heat exchangers too? Both cars are 2.0...
TheCabinetmaker
You understand correctly, quad
SLITS
Gentlemen ....

1.7/1.8 are dual pipe that turn upward at the end.

2.0s are dual pipe the do not turn up at the end.

'75 - '76 is a single pipe.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 24 2012, 10:31 AM) *

Gentlemen ....

1.7/1.8 are dual pipe that turn upward at the end.

2.0s are dual pipe the do not turn up at the end.

'75 - '76 is a single pipe.

Okay, here's a couple of pics of the header section without the muffler. Did I mount it correctly? I first mounted it the other way around and it seemed to me that the muffler would have been hanging lower than the engine/tranny and that didn't see right.Click to view attachment
jdlmodelt

Here's another pic.
SLITS
From Pelican Parts Website:

Click to view attachment

Looks like you are A-OK ............. the muffler outlet will be on the drivers' side when viewing the vehicle from the front.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 24 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks like you are A-OK ............. the muffler outlet will be on the drivers' side when viewing the vehicle from the front.

Thanks Slits...the muffler won't fit. It hits the heat shield and bumper.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Dec 24 2012, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 24 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks Slits...the muffler won't fit. It hits the heat shield and bumper.

Is the shift linkage all that exists on the side shifter? The pic kind of shows the shift linkage?
j
Some models appear to show a second linkage?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.