Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Cleaner Solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
What is a good solution to use to soak dirty parts in. I read online some people use diesel or kerosene, gasoline but then there is the flammability factor. I am not using it in a parts washer or pump of any sort. I plan to re-plenish the old chemicals in the 1 gallon Chem Dip parts cleaner that have lived its usefulness.

Thanks all and Happy Holidays !!
stateofidleness
*subscribed*

Curious of this myself. I don't have a media blaster or way to really clean a lot of small parts quickly, so I've been wanting some type of chemical solution I can soak them in and get pretty clean parts without much effort.
rfuerst911sc
Lestoil
914Sixer
I don't know if they have a Tractor Supply near you in sunny CA but they sell parts cleaner in the 5 gallon can. I have used it for years. About $35 for the can.
GeorgeRud
Though I haven't had to purchase any for quite a few years, I always bought Stoddard shop solvent from my local fuel supplier in central Illinois. I'd bring a five gallon jug and have them fill it up.

Probably not environmentally correct anymore, but it works better and safer than anything else I've ever used.
Mike Bellis
Pine-sol works very well and is somewhat less hazardous than gasoline and diesel. Just let it soak...
Gint
I use real solvent. Works just like it always has. No fumes with the lid on the parts washer. Or can in your case.
euro911
I bought several 1 gallon jugs of a water-based solvent along with a solvent tank at Harbor Freight.

Click to view attachment

I also bought some 1 gallon jugs of water-based degreaser from Smart and Final.

Both types worked equally well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.