Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does NPT need sealant when used in fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
if so, what sealant is recommended?

76-914
Jim, pipe dope (except for teflon tape) is nothing more than a lubricant which allows the tapered thread to perform it's original function. Pipe threads are tapered at the rate of 1" per 12' and will seal of their own accord when drawn in. Typically there will be 2-3 threads left showing when properly tightened. Dope the male threads ONLY.
underthetire
Yes. Ever put a 1/4npt on a air tool without tape? Leaks every time. I like locktite PST myself, but rector seal also works well.
smdubovsky
Yes! For the love of dog use sealant! Autozone,etc will have fuel safe sealants. I use the non hardening stuff when I have to use npt w/ fuel. (though i generally avoid it like the plague.)
anderssj
EZ-turn fuel lube:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php

5 oz tube lasts almost forever . . . .

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
stugray
When I used to build pneumatics control systems, you could buy all of the fittings with pre-coated (teflon) threads.

Like this:

IPB Image

It was a lot less mess and a lot less hassle.
I wish they did that to all pipe thread fittings these days.

Stu
914GT
Be careful with teflon thread tape on connections to electric fuel and water pumps. I talked to an engineer at Dedenbear racing several years ago and he said a big reason for pump/motor failure was teflon tape coming loose and getting pulled around impellers or other parts and jamming them up. In fact the warranty was voided if they found teflon tape inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.