Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
Hey everybody,

this morning I got the greatest Christmas present ever from my girlfriend.

A Lincoln E. Welder. Modell: Work Pak 125.

As far as I know Lincoln is one of the best companies with Miller, Howard.
I know the power is plenty for car sheet metal.
I am unexperienced welder dry.gif no, no experience at all.
So I have a few questions:

- The welder does not come with a gas shield, do I need one for welding Porsches?
- Could I equip the welder with gas?
- What else should I know?

pray.gif

C
PanelBilly
They have a kit to add the gas. I got mine at Home Depot years ago, but I'm sure they still stock this stuff. Ge tthe tank from the local supplier of gas.

Get some clamps. As you weld, it pushes the material apart.

Your in for some fun.
SLITS
Here's your conversion kit from Home Depot ........

Gas ConversionClick to view attachment
d914
Lincoln Electric MIG Conversion Kit with 1/4 in. Regulator with Gauge Model # K2526-1
Internet # 100672827
Store SKU #
Store SO SKU #

Overall rating 4.1 / 5 Rating breakdown 12 reviews
5 stars74 stars23 stars12 stars11 star1Ease of installation
4 / 5
Quality
3.3 / 5
Value
3.1 / 5
8 out of 11(73%)reviewers recommend this product.(12) Write a Review Share this product Questions & Answers
Ask a Question Question Questions, Answer Answers| Read All Q&A | Ask a Question

$121.00 /EA-Each

WAS $121.00
pilothyer
You will definitely want to get the MIG conversion kit # K2526-1 for your new welder. You will need a tank of gas as well( 25/75 argon/co2) You can practice with the supplied flux core wire just to get a feel for things but when that runs out you should stick with the best solid core you can get. You will probably find that 25 - 26 wire will be the best for sheet metal work. Also you will want a good automatic helmet......that hand held unit is good for spectators. welder.gif Also you should try to hang on to that girlfriend.
mrbubblehead
and as far as not knowing how to weld, lots of city colleges and adult education schools offer welding classes pretty cheap. and totally worth while. learn the basics first....
laflaur
you guys are slipping..

Cool gift,pics of the gf please
pilothyer
I've met her before and all I'll disclose at this time is that she is a Gorgeous Redhead biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
I'll second the suggestion to find some classes at the local community college if possible. They'll help guide you through the steps to become proficient and safe.

You'll find that it's also a lot of fun!

Merry Xmas, keep that girl!
L73
U tude mig welding on sheet metal.... Great tips out there
patssle
Welding releases toxic stuff you shouldn't breathe...sometimes it's even cancerous (such as Hexavalent Chromium from stainless steel welding). Make sure wherever you are welding is properly ventilated.
CG-914
thank you all guys!

Yes she is a gorgeous redhead! piratenanner.gif
But she said no pic and how could I say no today? santa_smiley.gif

I will defiantly go with the kit
and look into some lessons if affordable welder.gif

Merry christmas too you all!

How is that actually with the four power settings a,b,c,d is that enough or should it be without steps?

Let me know what you guys found in your stuffing!
Socalandy
It's a great little welder and the MIG kit is a must and easy to install, As for the A,B,C,D settings if you flip open the side cover you'll see the Metal gauge and wire guide. You might want to order the cart too, Store's everything and holds your gas bottle

I got the recommendation to run a CO2/Argon gas mix and it works awesome
rfuerst911sc
Welding is one of those things where practice is the key. You have to develop a " feel ", if you don't your either just globbing on metal or burning holes ! For us DIYers it's a little harder because we are not pros and for many of us a lot of time passes between welding sessions. But once you have the feel for it you can weld quite well. For finish work you want to use shielding gas, for working outside go with flux core. A good auto tinting face shield is a must ! And full length leather welding gloves come in handy. A few welding magnets come in handy for holding the pieces you are welding. A brass brush, extra tips and tip cleaner. Have fun.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Dec 24 2012, 11:38 AM) *

Hey everybody,

this morning I got the greatest Christmas present ever from my girlfriend.

A Lincoln E. Welder. Modell: Work Pak 125.

As far as I know Lincoln is one of the best companies with Miller, Howard.
I know the power is plenty for car sheet metal.
I am unexperienced welder dry.gif no, no experience at all.
So I have a few questions:

- The welder does not come with a gas shield, do I need one for welding Porsches?
- Could I equip the welder with gas?
- What else should I know?

pray.gif You need to get that gal ' Under the Hood' ..... she is a winner!

C

Trekkor
I have had fantastic results with this same set-up.

I use straight C02 gas and it produces great results.

KT
r_towle
Seriously, pics of the gf
CG-914
Talked to Lincoln today because there is more then that one kit...
They told me the new 125's would not be able to be converted anymore... sad.gif
Trekkor
Return the welder for a unit that can utilize gas.

With flux core only you will be limiting yourself.

KT
CG-914
Here is a pic is it still cinvertable to mig?

Click to view attachment
Trekkor
If it is convertible, it will have an inlet for the shielding gas on the back near the power cord.

You should also see settings inside the flip up access panel for BOTH gas and flux core welding.

If it doesn't have these, not convertible.

KT
CG-914
sadly no and no to both points!

Also talked to another guy at Lincoln and he found out that I would not be able to get all the parts separate to convert it!

ar15.gif
CG-914
Lets raise the question what is better Lincoln, Miller or Hobart?
I guess a 140 model from ether company is plenty?
Trekkor
You will have no trouble with any of those brands.

Determine what you plan to do and buy a slightly heavier duty unit than you think you will need.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.