Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: A little annoyed with BMW forums...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
The past couple years I've been lead mechanic on a team running a 325is. I have found it so hard to get some experienced input on these very popular cars. I'll go on the Bimmerfest forums, ask a technical question, and get ONE mediocre reply. On here I can post a question, go to the bathroom, come back and already have ten replies and one argument brewing. piratenanner.gif 914 World rocks! aktion035.gif
I know several of you play with or have played with E36s. If you know of a good forum for technical information, please let me know. Also, if you can recommend a good BMW head machinist, or can tell me the difference between a -400 or an 070 head casting, that'd be great too. haha. I'll bet you I still get more answers than the BMW forums. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
SLITS
Don't know if this will help or not ..

Bimmer Heads
ConeDodger
Mark, are you on Facebook? One of my friends is an engine wizard! Henry Chung. He builds monstrous drifter motors... I can get you an introduction if you want.
BMXerror
Sure, Rob. Why not? Ron, I did find them and one other company online, but I was looking for a someone who has done business with them to see if they're any good, and struck out.
I'm halfway inclined to do the work myself (CNC machinist by trade), but I've never done valve grinding. This would absolutely be the way I would go if I were playing with my own money, but it's a little different on a team. So far the Pelican Parts technical articles have been quite helpful.
Mark D.
SLITS
If you have the appropriate grinding stones, pilot shaft and specifications of angle and seat width, you should have no problems grinding your own.

Now getting the stem heights all the same will require some work.;
Bills914-4
I would use Len at Hoffmann Automotive Machine ( HAM ) he uses
a Serdi machine for cutting valve seats (new school) more precision
then stones , He does BMW heads

http://www.hamincgroup.com/bmw.php
rick 918-S
Now if we were talking early 2002's I could tell you all about the heads. Like you want 121 head with E12 valves, schrick duel springs, etc. I had a 95 M3 with a euro 3.0, chip, mass sensor mod, Borla exhaust, but never had time to learn anything about it. Except it was freakin fast!
crash914
2nd for HAM...don't have the bmw heads, but looking for a e36 interior in beige...

jeff
http://www.bmw2002.com/. Great guys,they have e30,2002,e9 experience....try and speak with Jeremy if you can....
Cap'n Krusty
Send (or take) the head to Engine Machine Service in Inglewood. They're not only accomplished and successful racers, they know how to make stuff go fast on a professional level.

(310) 641-7019

The Cap'n
BMXerror
Thank you all for the helpful responses... I'm still sitting at the status quo single reply on the BMW forums. haha.
Mark D.
Hammy
I have to agree... Having visited many other car forums, we're pretty spoiled here at 914World. biggrin.gif Great, informative and fun group of people here. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Odd group of gearheads, the BMW forum folk.
They will have 2,000 hits on a thread to buy a Dinan
trunk badge, but won't answer your tech question blink.gif
jbyron
I used to get good answers on the e39 forum on Roadfly. A guy on there named Jim Cash was encyclopedic in his knowledge of them.
r_towle
Www.bimmerforums.com

The place I would call for headwork suggestions would be turner motorsports in Massachusetts.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 25 2012, 04:38 PM) *

Www.bimmerforums.com

The place I would call for headwork suggestions would be turner motorsports in Massachusetts.

Rich

Or the Metric Mechanic.

http://www.metricmechanic.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.